The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommended Vocal mic for Tenor Voice Condenser Microphones
Old 1st September 2011
  #1
Gear Head
 

Recommended Vocal mic for Tenor Voice

Hey Guys, I'm new to recording as I've only been doing it for a year or so and I want to start taking it more seriously rather than demos. I have an Mbox Pro 2, and a pair of Adam A5x's. I use a Rode NT-1A and have found that it really sounds very harsh (my opinion, correct if wrong) and I'm hoping you guys can help me find a mic which might work nicer than the Rode. I've been sussing out the Blue Woodpecker's but noticed they don't have much sibilance which is a good and bad thing.. because I record pop music and sometimes you want those 's's etc to stand out. Also, I've found that when I'm mixing, vocals are one instrument I can't get my head around EQ'ing. I always make the vocal too boxy, or too thin. I have a large room so it's not as if I'm recording in a very small space. P.S I've attached one of my own songs so you can check out my voice for feedback on potential mic's. The song was recording through an SSL desk with an NTK.

Thanks guys.
Attached Files

Moviestar [bottom #2#11AD91.mp3 (525.0 KB, 823 views)

Old 2nd September 2011
  #2
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Always hard to say, as it's down to lots of factors like personal preference, song requirements etc.

I have found all Rode mics that I have used to be harsh and sibilancy. They might not all be, but the ones I have used are.

You could try looking at something from Mojave or Beesnees

Matt
Old 2nd September 2011
  #3
Gear Head
 

I think a large part of this is going to revolve around your budget. Ho much money do you want to spend?
Old 3rd September 2011
  #4
Hi there,
I respectfully suggest that it sounds boxy to you because you've got it boxed in except where you faded it in and out. I'd take the compressors out of the chain and work with the voice dry until you like what you hear. Is it the singers? Rode mics are not cheesie and the reason I think they get a bad rep for being harsh is because folks are trying to use them on everything, all the time. That replication of the excellent Neumann K67 capsule is supposed to have a high-mid lift and when you record that to a dozen or more different tracks, guess what? Start notching 12K down 3dB in every track you use this mic except the vocal and see if the result makes the vox clearer. Then experiment with a channel compressor.

Have you considered recording the vocals with two mics, one dull and the other bright? Another trick is to split the vocal signal and put the two outputs into neighboring pre-channels but one channel is set 9db lower than the other, to catch a clean peak when the other one overloads. If the capsule distorts, then sing it again. Put the two capsules close together behind the popper-stopper and obsess about phase later, if at all.

Once you have the melody, harmony and rhythm part of the vocal down, then you can start hacking on it to make it fit into the blender of other sounds/instruments. Or not. Perhaps leaving 12 dB of headroom on the finished track will allow the mastering person some room to manoeuvre?
best rgds,
WalterT
Attached Thumbnails
Recommended Vocal mic for Tenor Voice-moviestar-square-wave.jpg  
Old 4th September 2011
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanpants View Post
I think a large part of this is going to revolve around your budget. Ho much money do you want to spend?
hey! thanks for the reply, my budget is stretched to about $1400. what are your thoughts? thanks
Old 4th September 2011
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audibell View Post
Hi there,
I respectfully suggest that it sounds boxy to you because you've got it boxed in except where you faded it in and out. I'd take the compressors out of the chain and work with the voice dry until you like what you hear. Is it the singers? Rode mics are not cheesie and the reason I think they get a bad rep for being harsh is because folks are trying to use them on everything, all the time. That replication of the excellent Neumann K67 capsule is supposed to have a high-mid lift and when you record that to a dozen or more different tracks, guess what? Start notching 12K down 3dB in every track you use this mic except the vocal and see if the result makes the vox clearer. Then experiment with a channel compressor.

Have you considered recording the vocals with two mics, one dull and the other bright? Another trick is to split the vocal signal and put the two outputs into neighboring pre-channels but one channel is set 9db lower than the other, to catch a clean peak when the other one overloads. If the capsule distorts, then sing it again. Put the two capsules close together behind the popper-stopper and obsess about phase later, if at all.

Once you have the melody, harmony and rhythm part of the vocal down, then you can start hacking on it to make it fit into the blender of other sounds/instruments. Or not. Perhaps leaving 12 dB of headroom on the finished track will allow the mastering person some room to manoeuvre?
best rgds,
WalterT
some great ideas here! thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely try these ideas!
Old 4th September 2011
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Always hard to say, as it's down to lots of factors like personal preference, song requirements etc.

I have found all Rode mics that I have used to be harsh and sibilancy. They might not all be, but the ones I have used are.

You could try looking at something from Mojave or Beesnees

Matt
thanks Matt, I'll definitely check out those mic brands before as I've never really looked at there gear closely. thanks again
Old 4th September 2011
  #8
Gear Head
 

As I hear your voice I think that an AKG 414XLS (notXLII) is also a great mic for Pop Vocals and It's not going to be very expensive around 900$.

For more expensive gear if can reach 1400$ I think that Neumann TLM49 is a really greaaat choise.

IMO don't take only 1 mic for 2000$ . . .
It's better to buy one 414 or TLM103 and a pair of KM184 or just a pair of 414 to be able to record stereo istruments too.
For example to record an Ac Guitar and not to use silly vsts. Record a Piano etc . . .

The differances from a mic of 2000$ to 1000$ is not that much. But from a mic of 100$ to 1000$ it's enormus . . .



P.S.: Buy a better soundcard too (around 800). The Converters, Clock and Preamps are more important than your mic. Even with your Rode you can have a very good sound if you just change the rest. The overall of your gear matter more that single units.
Old 4th September 2011
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladman studio View Post
As I hear your voice I think that an AKG 414XLS (notXLII) is also a great mic for Pop Vocals and It's not going to be very expensive around 900$.

For more expensive gear if can reach 1400$ I think that Neumann TLM49 is a really greaaat choise.

IMO don't take only 1 mic for 2000$ . . .
It's better to buy one 414 or TLM103 and a pair of KM184 or just a pair of 414 to be able to record stereo istruments too.
For example to record an Ac Guitar and not to use silly vsts. Record a Piano etc . . .

The differances from a mic of 2000$ to 1000$ is not that much. But from a mic of 100$ to 1000$ it's enormus . . .



P.S.: Buy a better soundcard too (around 800). The Converters, Clock and Preamps are more important than your mic. Even with your Rode you can have a very good sound if you just change the rest. The overall of your gear matter more that single units.
Thanks so much for the info! Yeah im planning on upgrading to a fireface 800 with a great river pre. I'll check out your recommendations and have a think, thanks for your insight!
Old 4th September 2011
  #10
Gear Head
 

FF800 and Great River will be awsome! This equipment is more important than a great mic. Your mics won't give the 100% if you don't have good Preamps, Converters, Clock.
Old 4th September 2011
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Firstly I liked what I heard of your song and don't think the vocals sound bad at all.

Maybe try the waves Ren-De-esser It's great and I think is only $50bucks at the moment on the Waves site. It's more effective than the one that comes with pro tools as it has a listen mode to find the bad stuff, bandpass split and wideband mode as well as range etc. It is great value
and I have never needed another de-esser.

Also I have owned and used quite a few Rode mics in the past
almost all of them, and you are spot on they can be a bit sibilent. Try backing off a few more inches than you normally would use a pop filter and if need be then develop some better mic/vocal technique and turn your head slightly off axis on the extra sibilant words or the the highly plosive words on your lyrics sheet. Underline the words that are problematic on playback when your doing your overdubs.

However for more precise de-essing
The other thing you can do is just write in the volume automation where
the sibilance is and turn it down just on the SSS transients. You can even use the gain Audiosuite plug in for this sometimes just on the transients
or bad stuff you don't want.

You should also try the Rode M3 it's a super mic for the price and is not as sibilant as their larger diaphragm condensers. I've also heard it sound great on male vocals.

Also put a link to the whole song so we can hear if anything that bad is really there.
Old 4th September 2011
  #12
Gear Nut
 

One other suggestion there is a guy on here called Chris Lago he doesn't get much love. Maybe you and him could work on something together

Also did you do all the production of this song?
Old 5th September 2011
  #13
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoolie View Post
Firstly I liked what I heard of your song and don't think the vocals sound bad at all.

Maybe try the waves Ren-De-esser It's great and I think is only $50bucks at the moment on the Waves site. It's more effective than the one that comes with pro tools as it has a listen mode to find the bad stuff, bandpass split and wideband mode as well as range etc. It is great value
and I have never needed another de-esser.

Also I have owned and used quite a few Rode mics in the past
almost all of them, and you are spot on they can be a bit sibilent. Try backing off a few more inches than you normally would use a pop filter and if need be then develop some better mic/vocal technique and turn your head slightly off axis on the extra sibilant words or the the highly plosive words on your lyrics sheet. Underline the words that are problematic on playback when your doing your overdubs.

However for more precise de-essing
The other thing you can do is just write in the volume automation where
the sibilance is and turn it down just on the SSS transients. You can even use the gain Audiosuite plug in for this sometimes just on the transients
or bad stuff you don't want.

You should also try the Rode M3 it's a super mic for the price and is not as sibilant as their larger diaphragm condensers. I've also heard it sound great on male vocals.

Also put a link to the whole song so we can hear if anything that bad is really there.
thanks heaps man! I will definitely try these out. I'll paste a link to the full track in the next quote. thanks dude
Old 5th September 2011
  #14
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoolie View Post
One other suggestion there is a guy on here called Chris Lago he doesn't get much love. Maybe you and him could work on something together

Also did you do all the production of this song?
here's a link to one of my tracks. yeah I'd definitely be interested dude. the production was done by myself and one of my friends who I track/produce with at his studio. The mix was done by a fellow GS 's34nsm411' he's really great at mixing and an awesome dude. let me know your thoughts on the track.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36746623/Mov...0RE%281%29.mp3
Old 6th September 2011
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Cool.

Your song reminds me of Mae.
Sounds really big.
I like it.

Would love to get an opinion on a song I'm working on

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...es-please.html

-Ryan
Old 7th September 2011
  #16
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC334 View Post
Your song reminds me of Mae.
Sounds really big.
I like it.

Would love to get an opinion on a song I'm working on

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...es-please.html

-Ryan
thanks mate. without seeming rude if anybody could jump back to my original question and give me a little bit more insight in particular microphones that would be great. thanks guys!
Old 7th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheroheroine View Post
without seeming rude if anybody could jump back to my original question and give me a little bit more insight in particular microphones that would be great. thanks guys!
ZING!
Old 8th September 2011
  #18
Gear Head
 

Bump! Need all the help I can get guys
Old 10th September 2011
  #19
Gear Head
 

bump again.
Old 13th September 2011
  #20
Here for the gear
 

You can get a very nice sound from a Rode NT-1a. It's really about how you use it. Maybe a different preamp?
Old 4th October 2011
  #21
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrondle View Post
You can get a very nice sound from a Rode NT-1a. It's really about how you use it. Maybe a different preamp?
yeah you're probably right. i've only got the option of using the Mbox pro 2 pre's but I just upgraded to a fireface 800 so maybe that will help. Still i find the Nt1 to be really sibilant and harsh. Maybe it's just me!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump