The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Top Three essential Plugs for engineering vocals? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

Top Three essential Plugs for engineering vocals?

If you had a $500.00 budget for three plugins specifically for Producing & Engineering Vocals what would you have?
Old 31st August 2011

You'd want more than 3:

A tuning plugin, and eq plugin, a compressor plugin, a reverb plugin and a delay plug in, maybe a harmonizer and a de-esser

To answer your next question "I meant which specific plugs?", I would ask specifically what you want, sound-wise, feature-wise and workflow-wise.

I assume you are talking about mixing? (even though you said producing and engineering). If you are not mixing, and really are only producing and engineering, you only need the tuning plugin, assuming you are recording vocalists that need/want tuning.

Matt
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

Yes, the plugins would be for mixing as well as Production duties. I am currently looking at Echo Boy for delay but I am not sure between AutoTune, Melodyne, Waves Tune, for pitch n time correction.

Also not sure If I need Vocalign for Vocal doubles.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I like Waves Tune a lot, but have found it to not be quite as surgical as Autotunes. Basically there were some problems I couldn't fix with Waves that I could fix with Autotune.

That said, I personally would recommend the Waves Renaissance Maxx pack. It literally has everything you need. It sounds great and is very easy to use. $350 TDM/$280 Native.

My typical vocal chain is waves tune - deesser - channel strip - compressor (maybe) - reverb.

Remember - there're tons and tons of free plugins that are first rate. Search the GS for threads about free plugs. Antress is a good place to start. They offer free versions of most of the things you are asking for. I haven't tried all of them, but generally they are pretty damn good. Google it.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Ok Thank You!!! Do you think Melodyne would be better than Auto tune as far as what you get for the Dollar value?
Old 1st September 2011

I like melodyne. When I tried it against autotune years ago, I found I was able to get more natural sounding results. Autotune has new versions since, so my opinion might change if I were in the market today, I don't know.

Both are good, you can get pro results with both. Autotune is probably more widely compatible with other studios, but not by much. Autotune is better for instant results, with melodyne you really have to do things manually (you should also in autotune, but you know what I mean)

My vote is for melodyne, but you'll be happy with either.

Waves tune isnt as widely used. I dont know what it's like

Matt

Last edited by matt thomas; 1st September 2011 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: IPhone auto correct
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I haven't tried Melodyne, so I can't comment on it. And I should probly add that I've used Tune a few times, while Autotune I've used a bunch.

I am a firm believer that all autotune-type plugs should be used for surgical correction of a well sung vocal. Autotune is probly better for that than Waves Tune, but it is a slower process.

If I was only buying one (which is plenty, anyhow), I think I'd buy Autotune.

But, if you are buying the Renaissance Maxx pack, I'd use the hell out of Tune before I bought anything else. I'd have to conclusively prove to myself it couldn't do everything I needed before I spent more money.
Old 2nd September 2011
Blockfish, reaeq
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Izotope nectar looks pretty interesting. Whole tool kit in one plug in. Haven't used it though, so I can't comment on anything but looks.

Stillwell rocket into an LA 2A type plug for compression is cool. Don't have a go to EQ, but I use the 1973 often. Logic's delay designer for detuned slaps to thicken the lead. Well, I guess that's 4 plug ins. Oh right, reverb. I just use space designer.
Old 3rd September 2011
+1 for Melodyne and Voxengo Voxformer within your budget; any of the Eversmeier freebie compressors are good to learn with, he programs Samplitude/Sequoia vsts - digitalfishphones.com, I think.
BRgds,,
WalterT
Old 3rd September 2011
Motown legend

I'd just get Waves Tune and CLA vocal for openers. The latter obviously can be surpassed but that takes some work and still makes a great benchmark to try and beat.

The stuff that comes free with today's DAWs is as good as many of yesterdaze's premium plugs.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plove View Post
Ok Thank You!!! Do you think Melodyne would be better than Auto tune as far as what you get for the Dollar value?
Melodyne all the way, incredible tool, just get melodyne Editor. It sounds far better in my opinion than auto tune
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy7 View Post
Melodyne all the way, incredible tool, just get melodyne Editor. It sounds far better in my opinion than auto tune
+1

My votes as far as payware is concerned would probably be:
- Melodyne Editor
- Schwa CMX
- Tone Boosters Track Essentials, which has good bread-and-butter compression, EQ, and de-essing -- although I don't like the reverb!

However, there's also bags of decent freeware to consider too, such as the plugs in my top-ten list and (a current favourite of mine) Sonimus SonEQ.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Waves CLA-1176 everytime...
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Would like to 2nd and 3rd Melodyne.

I have Melodyne and Autotune and Melodyne Editor wins by far.
So much you can do and the ability to tweak chords and harmonies
are fantastic. Autotune almost feels like something you'd use for effect.
The artefacts are more tangible there I think.
Old 21st September 2011
Melodyne blows away Autotuna. And you should look into an opto-tube emulation + limiting amplifier emulation (LA-2/3a + 1176). The new IK White and Black single plugins are amazing on vocals. For eq, just use your DAW eq and for $50 look no further than Valhalla Room for the best itb algo reverb you can buy. Grab the free FreqEcho too. Also look into the free Massey Tapehead Medium. And a good de-esser can be the magic ticket for sweet controlled lush sibilants and professional polish if used correctly. If you can swing it the Sonnox Supressor really is peerless and very very easy to dial in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search