The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer ADA8000 for extra outputs Audio Interfaces
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

Behringer ADA8000 for extra outputs

Hi

I have recently purchased a Behringer ADA8000 A/D & D/A convertor. I also have a SAFFIRE pro 40 and the Focusrite Octo pre to go with it, and the two are connected. I want to use the Behringer so I can convert the 8 ADAT Focusrite channels into anaologue and into my anologue console.

My question is how exactly to I connect up my Behringer. Would I need to connect it usng an Optical cable to the SAFFIRE pro or the Octopre?. I apologise if this is such an obvious answer, but I am unfamiliar with setting up ADAT

Thanks

Old 31st August 2011

So, you are using your saffire for 8 analog channels in and out, your octopre for 8 channels in, and your behringer for 8 channels out. Is that right?

You may actually be better off (it would be simpler with fewer pieces of gear) with the Octopre dynamics version, which has digital inputs too, hence you wouldn't need the behringer. (Ha, I just realised i was talking to you in the other thread, so you already know this..)

Otherwise, you will be wanting to attach your behringer's adat ins to your saffire's adat outs, with adat (optical) cable. Probably also set the clock source on the behringer to be syncing to the Saffire via the adat ins.

matt
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

Hi Thanks, Yes I would like the M11 Dynamic but it's £500 as opposed to £151 for the Behringer, and I have heared that the convertors are comparible to higher end models. would you agree?
Old 31st August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifkijones View Post
Hi Thanks, Yes I would like the M11 Dynamic but it's £500 as opposed to £151 for the Behringer, and I have heared that the convertors are comparible to higher end models. would you agree?
I don't know the behringer. But at that price its got to be worth it

I was meaning that if you have the other Octropre you could also sell the one you have now.

matt
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

Sorry I see what you mean
Old 3rd September 2011
Hi, there.
I have the ada8000 and the octopre with the dynamics.
My experience with the behringer is that it likes to be master, which means the digital conversion is controlled by the cheapest piece of gear in the chain.

I believe you have to direct the octopre signal already in your daw back thru the interface's adat outs, to the behringer adat ins, for them to appear at the behringer analog xlrs on the back, on their way to your monitoring console.

It's not the burr-brown or akm chips which differentiate the sound as much as the analog front and back end of the chips. These are, necessarily, cheaper in the behringer than in the $600 to 2000 ones.

The behringer power supply has no fan, unlike the Octopre, so it burns up after about 3 years use. Also, some opamps will fry and caps dry out. The Behr power transformer seems to pick up more emf/rfi whch can be heard if you crank an unused channel all the way up and listen on speakers.

The Behr pres are not that strong and there is no benefit from any compressor make-up gain as in the focusrite. I haven't measured it but I doubt that all condensor mics are receiving 48vdc phantom power when all eight inputs are in use. While I will put a Royer into the focusrite, I won't chance it in the Behr because it's either 8-channel phantom or none and I don't want to find out which mic cable has a new short in it, the hardest way.

I keep and use them both. Good luck with your choice.
WalterT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search