The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Weird Clicking Noise When Recording Bass?!?
Old 25th July 2011
Here for the gear

Weird Clicking Noise When Recording Bass?!?

Sorry, I've completely copied and pasted my question from the TalkBass forum, but I feel you guys would probably have more knowledge on stuff like this than the guys at TalkBass (I would be worried if you didn't heh).

Quote:
Hi,
I have recently been recording my Bass guitar by routing the Send from my amps effect loop to my computer through the mic-in slot and recording it in Mixcraft 5. I have been getting some quite good recordings (considering it's through the mic-in jack, and I don't really need studio quality ATM), however I have noticed that when I record slap bass on the lower three strings (it's a 6 string, guys) there seems to be some strange clicking sound on top of it. This is less apparent when playing finger style on these strings, but I need to slap! It is not apparent when playing the higher three strings (popping or not). I have tried changing the levels and also my amps on-board compression and it is still there. Does anyone have any idea how to rectify this?
Many Thanks,
Otto

P.S I have included a quick recording just to show you what I mean. I have used little effects (the tiniest bit of compression at both ends) and have made the Bass significantly louder than the drum track. I also apologise for my sloppy playing! I did it one take and just quickly edited out the parts I didn't think you guys needed to hear!

Original Thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f43/we...g-bass-792180/
Old 29th July 2011
Gear Maniac

If you boost basssound too much it can bring more of attack and cause the clicksound,try other fx on it
Old 29th July 2011
Are you hitting the pickups at all?
Another possibility is (as already suggested) the attack is just too fast, but it sounds like a string hitting the pickup to me.
Old 29th July 2011
you are hitting the pickup with the string or your finger. consider retracking with more careful playing.

bass playing that is done well, in the pocket and clean really doesnt need a whole lot of compression (dependent upon style).

note: when I say "need" I mean need in the sense that it doesn't need compression to fit in the mix. Most of us use compression more as a tone tool than anything else.
Old 30th July 2011
Lives for gear

basss transients can get really loud and distort whatever you run them through even if just for a millisecond.

But I didn't really hear what you were talking about?? To me it sounds like someone slapping a bass?? Your good so I'll assume its something out of the ordinary and when you normally slap bass it doesn't sound like that.

try turning whatever your running it into to record down. maybe even way down. that might help your popping issue?

Edit: just reread your post. Your taking line level from your amp, into your mic input which by default has built in gain, so somewhere along the line something is getting distorted. You can sometimes disable the mic in gai non your computer, or you can just try and turn the setup down.
goodluck
Old 3rd August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by abechap024 View Post
basss transients can get really loud and distort whatever you run them through even if just for a millisecond.

But I didn't really hear what you were talking about?? To me it sounds like someone slapping a bass?? Your good so I'll assume its something out of the ordinary and when you normally slap bass it doesn't sound like that.

try turning whatever your running it into to record down. maybe even way down. that might help your popping issue?

Edit: just reread your post. Your taking line level from your amp, into your mic input which by default has built in gain, so somewhere along the line something is getting distorted. You can sometimes disable the mic in gai non your computer, or you can just try and turn the setup down.
goodluck
I still say it's a pickup getting hit.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

I concur, just the string hitting the pick up.
Old 14th August 2011
Here for the gear

Yep it was the strings hitting the pickup, don't know why I didn't notice it... :s
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

I actually like the sound, makes it sound like KoRn's bassist Fieldy. Adds a nice groove to the drumtrack aswell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search