The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Want to play Darkwave/EBM - Need advices on starting gear
Old 2nd June 2011
Here for the gear

Want to play Darkwave/EBM - Need advices on starting gear

Greetings,

This is my first post. I am a brazilian guy who played for 4 years on teen rock bands as guitar player, later on as a singer. Unfortunately due college, work...you know, I had to stop.

Now after 5 years I'm planning to start again, this time playing darkwave EBM and Industrial, whith a low budget at first ($1000 for hardware), but I want to buy flexible gear and software, something can be used live and for recording as well.

Here's the gear I am looking forward to buy, after some research.
Hardware
Keyrig 49 - Masterkeyboard
BCR2000 - For controlling Massive trough the knobs
Maschine - For the drums NI Battery
Monitors - I don't want to spend money on this at the first months, when I will create my first songs and get used with the equipment.

Software
Massive VST
NI Battery 3
Logic

For the laptop, I have a HP where I will install MACOsX, to use Logic

1st question is a newbie one: Which is the best way to connect my hardware (how do I put everything together) ? Do I need adittional gear? The idea is to use BCR and the Keyrig to control Massive

2nd question - Does it worth to save the BCR2000 money at first and buy a Keystation Pro instead of the Keyrig?

3rd question - Do you believe Maschine will satisfy me? Would you buy Arthuria Spark instead?
Old 5th June 2011
Here for the gear

Old 5th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibot View Post
Greetings,

This is my first post. I am a brazilian guy who played for 4 years on teen rock bands as guitar player, later on as a singer. Unfortunately due college, work...you know, I had to stop.

Now after 5 years I'm planning to start again, this time playing darkwave EBM and Industrial, whith a low budget at first ($1000 for hardware), but I want to buy flexible gear and software, something can be used live and for recording as well.

Here's the gear I am looking forward to buy, after some research.
Hardware
Keyrig 49 - Masterkeyboard
BCR2000 - For controlling Massive trough the knobs
Maschine - For the drums NI Battery
Monitors - I don't want to spend money on this at the first months, when I will create my first songs and get used with the equipment.

Software
Massive VST
NI Battery 3
Logic

For the laptop, I have a HP where I will install MACOsX, to use Logic

1st question is a newbie one: Which is the best way to connect my hardware (how do I put everything together) ? Do I need adittional gear? The idea is to use BCR and the Keyrig to control Massive

2nd question - Does it worth to save the BCR2000 money at first and buy a Keystation Pro instead of the Keyrig?

3rd question - Do you believe Maschine will satisfy me? Would you buy Arthuria Spark instead?
Hi there & sorry for the delay...

As far as i am concerned you could be at home with just a laptop running Reason & a 2-octave keyboard.EBM is repetitive by nature so you won't need an 88 mother keyboard to unleash your classical skiils.That said, it's true that the Pro will give you extra functionality with knobs, buttons & sliders to control your software.Yes, you can ditch the Behringer on this scenario.Or you could get something from the Novation line with Automap which will make your life much easier.No more assigning parameters manually.

Logic has many synths you'll find yourself using & NI Massive is a very capable synth.Would i buy Mschine to control Battery?Probably not.Besides, isn't Maschine self-contained(with sounds & stuff)?If you need a controller you can go cheaper but Maschine, as far as i know, is a groovebox of some sort which means that it's more than just a controller.

As for your first question:You WILL need an audio interface.Something basic like an EMU 0404 will do the trick.As for the monitors, if they are powered you are ok.If they are passive you will need an amp to drive them.Behringer & KRK make good active all-rounders that come cheap...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search