The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to Mix For a Podcast?
Old 21st May 2011
Here for the gear

How to Mix For a Podcast?

Check it out.

I just got into podcasting and I want to know what I should do to get a really good mix for it.

My gear is pretty basic. I'm using an Audio Technica AT2020 USB microphone and I'm tracking in Logic Pro 9. Could I get some advice on which plug-ins / settings I should dial in to get the best mix?

Thanks!
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Get familiar with the search function on GS, and start with 'voiceover'.
Lots of material there on what and how.
Your rig will be just fine to start podcasting. Lots of people use Logic and also Garageband, which actually has some nice podcast features built in.
Your signal chain on vocals will likely include some order of the following:

Compressor
EQ
de-esser
reverb

Logic has some decent starting point presets, but be prepared to tweak.
Get some audio into Logic, and start processing!
Once you have the chain dialed for your own voice, you won't have to mess with it, and you can record and mix.
Add foley, sweetening, whatever you'd like.
Please do mind your signal levels.
Old 22nd May 2011
Here for the gear

thank you sir! the flood gates of knowledge have just opened up
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Another thought;

If you don't already, start subscribing to podcasts about audio, like Hens Zimmerman's 'Sounds Good', 'Inside Home Recording', and such. Just search 'audio podcasts' in the itunes store, and you will see a bunch.

Also, start listening to well-produced podcasts of all kinds that you can find, as a reference. The two I mentioned above are good examples of the format, incorporating into their podcasts all kinds of meta data, pictures and video, links, and all kinds of other shit that I don't know what it does... but they also have good audio levels and high production values, which is most important.
Old 23rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, start listening to well-produced podcasts of all kinds that you can find, as a reference.
Radiolab & This American Life both sound pretty good too...would be a good 'listening school' for someone to start with.

Check your PM's too...

todd
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddai View Post
Radiolab & This American Life both sound pretty good too...would be a good 'listening school' for someone to start with.

Check your PM's too...

todd
Radiolab is a wonderful reference point.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Depends on the show. As far as voice, you'll probably benefit from a 80-90hz low cut. Then perhaps (in no particular order) some slight compression, de-essing if needed and some gating since you'll probably record in a less than perfect room. That'll do it I think. Study up on how to use the aforementioned effects, there are books in the library and plenty of info online. As far as mixing the rest of the show (interviews, songs, jingles, whatever you might have), try keeping the levels consistent and try "mastering" it just slightly in the end. A light use of limiter I find wil do the trick quite nicely. Then normalize with a few db's to spare and you'll be good to go. But again, read. Read, read, read and learn from the ground up. There's no point in learning specific methods, you need to understand what you're doing in order to be truly self-sufficient.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear