The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
+4db, -10db...what does all this mean exactly?
Old 29th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi, Thank you for this nice informative thread.
I have been recording for a good while, and while taking care of my gain staging, i actually overlooked the +4/-10dB question.

One question, while i am re-wiring most of my studio, and try to match gear level as much as i can :
I have an old Teac eq, which connections are RCA and features vumeters. I like it, but i am wondering if it is set to +4dB or -10dB ?
On one hand, prosumers unbalanced RCA gear might be +10,
but on the other hand, as +4dB = 0dbVU and as the unit features 2 vumeters, wouldn't it be strange to have a different calibration for both the input/output level (-10) and the metering (+4) ?
Or maybe it is not related at all ?

Ah, and i'd have another question : i have a couple of gear with both -10 (jack) and +4 (XLR) connectors : would it make sense to trade my trusty jacks for XLR in order to switch to +4 where possible ? Would there have any sound improvement, or just "volume matching" (i guess the answer would be "just volume") ?
I have very short cable lenghts, i do record only electronic music so there is no mic involved, fwiw (And my signal is clean, no ground hum, no ground loop issue).
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

The Tascam can have whatever it wants on its meters. There's no legal requirement that whatever is on there is meaningful. It's probably 0dBVU referenced to -10.

And changing from jacks (1/4") to XLR's does not miraculously change the operating level of the equipment to +4 or to -10. They're just connectors, and operating level depends on what's happening inside the box. They're useful as first-glance indicators - you'll rarely see real +4 equipment with RCA jacks, for example - but only as indicators.

Please, do some reading. There are so many resources out on the net now. Don't depend on threads. Build up your knowledge and it bleeds over it other parts of your engineering and music-making life. The feeling of actually understanding what you're talking about is empowering.
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
This calculator thing is awesome. Thanks for posting!!!?

Sent from my LG-E970
Old 30th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
The Tascam can have whatever it wants on its meters. There's no legal requirement that whatever is on there is meaningful. It's probably 0dBVU referenced to -10.
Ok, thank you for the clarification.

Quote:
And changing from jacks (1/4") to XLR's does not miraculously change the operating level of the equipment to +4 or to -10. They're just connectors, and operating level depends on what's happening inside the box. They're useful as first-glance indicators - you'll rarely see real +4 equipment with RCA jacks, for example - but only as indicators.
It's just that i have a couple of gear featuring both connectors and where it is specified that using the jack connectors make the unit operate at -10 and using the XLR make it run at +4 (I think i wasn't clear enough in my previous post).
(Several compressors behave like that, afaik, and so is the Echo Pro for instance).
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kragg View Post
Ok, thank you for the clarification.

It's just that i have a couple of gear featuring both connectors and where it is specified that using the jack connectors make the unit operate at -10 and using the XLR make it run at +4 (I think i wasn't clear enough in my previous post).
(Several compressors behave like that, afaik, and so is the Echo Pro for instance).
In that case, you're 100% correct, my apologies. If you can operate balanced, it's better, all things being equal - like the other end of the cable goes into or comes out of a balanced connection. Operating at +4 is actually just a secondary characteristic, in that most balanced connections operate at +4.

The other thing that makes all this less than obvious is that you need to pay attention to how things are terminated when you're going balanced to unbalanced and vice versa. This page at the Rane site is still about the best reference around: Sound System Interconnection
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Addict

-6.0 is is best for mastering electronic techno .. and so on
Old 8th November 2013
Gear Guru

Chris at Redco recommended the Rolls Promatch MB15b Two way stereo converter
to help tame those +4 signals when going into -10 gear.

Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products MB15b Promatch and More

Old 10th November 2013
Gear Head

-10 vs +4dbu/dbv/dbm

Hi Guys, thanks to everyone who came to visit us at the AES Show in NYC last month. There were some great courses available for new recordists.

The last two years the AES (Audio Engineer Society) has included a Project Studio wing with 2 full days of courses. Its in LA next October.

I have attached a useful chart from sengpielaudio.com comparing reference levels used in the audio world.

Now, the term DBm is the old Broadcast standard and refers to the measured output level terminated into a 600 ohm load. Some modern "pro-audio" circuits do not like to be loaded down to 600 ohms.

Most of us today are recording via A/D converters which usually run on + & - 15 volt rails. So, 30 volts X .35 means any signal larger than 10.5 volts rms reaching the end of the analogue path will go into clipping.

10.5v RMS is +22.5 dbu which is the maximum level an average A/D converter will take before clipping. A Neve 1073 can deliver +30dbu with less than .25% distortion across the audio bandwidth. This relates to a level of 24 volts RMS. So, when you are driving an A/D converter by a 1073 the nominal operating level should +2dbu maximum not +4dbm which is nearly +6dbv. To to be safe I would probably make OVU read .775v rms for convenience on any reference meter.

We have a 2073 two channel 1073 type preamp going into production next year. It has Vu meters and we set the VU meters so .775 rms = Ovu.

Our tube and fet microphones can deliver +16dbu before distortion. This is what you need to put a LDC condenser in front of the kick.

The rule of thumb is that you need 20db of headroom above the nominal operating level or an operating voltage of about 1 volt rms which is +2dbu.

However, today we are not concerned with tape hiss so we do not have to hit the recording device as hard to retain good signal to noise.

If you are worried that some piece of gear in the chain is set for -10dbu then you could operate at that level and not hear any increase in noise.
-10dbu relates to a voltage of .25 rms. I have seen a few very low budget a/d converters running from 9 volts which means you want to feed them with no more than a nominal level of -10dbu. Which is fine for 10' cables.

Back in the day of +4dbm and +8dbm levels from tape machines would be feed 300 yards down 600 ohm lines to "Master Control" but we do not need that kind of brute force audio power into today's digital world.

On a side note... Balanced is always better because it will give you 6db more level before distortion as it doubles the output level.

Also, there is a difference in types of distortion. This is the prime reason tube microphones and preamps are still loved today.

In the early 70's a blind listen test was performed and an AES engineering paper written. It showed that a class "A" tube circuit could be pushed 20db into the point of distortion before folks reported the sound as being too nasty to listen to.

A solid state class "A" discrete circuit like the Neve 1073 or our Class "A" discrete 2 stage CM87 microphone circuit first used in the original AKG 414eb could be pushed 10db into distortion before it was reported as being too nasty to listen to. The IC circuit could only be pushed 5db into clipping distortion before it was reported as sounding to nasty to listen to.

The tube circuits generate much more even order harmonics when pushed into early distortion which are more musical sounding to our ears. The class "A" transformer discrete circuit produced less 2nd harmonic distortion than the tube on the on-set of distortion but still more than the IC circuit.

So, if someone could design a tube circuit that would drive the A/D chip in a converter that would be very cool in my world.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com

[QUOTE=FFTT;9575000]Chris at Redco recommended the Rolls Promatch MB15b Two way stereo converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Chris at Redco recommended the Rolls Promatch MB15b Two way stereo converter

Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products MB15b Promatch and More

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0vu-+4.pdf (717.2 KB, 378 views)
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

ok, this has been a very informative thread, and always something I have generally avoided reading about… :(.. so if i have an ensemble apogee running out to my KRK VXT8's (powered), I would be best offc setting up the ensemble and KRK's to +4 in terms of noise floor?
Old 3rd December 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Great thread! Thanx! Finally a thread that dives deep into this topic.

A question to make it more clear to me:
If I would record a 1kHz sine wave at -18 dBFS to a CD-R,
play it from my CD-Player (unbalanced RCA, assuming it's operating at -10 dBV)
and measure the output voltage from one of the CD Player's RCA outputs by using a digital multimeter, will the meter show 0.3162 volts?

Or will it show 0.3162 volts if I record the sine wave at 0 dBFS?

Or am I completely on the wrong track?

EDIT: The spec sheet from the player (Denon DCD 720AE) says:
Output level: 2.0 V (10 k?)
This raises another question: How do these 2.0 volts relate to the 0.3162 volts?
Old 15th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Thank you for that pearl of wisdom.
Quote:
"Better"?

Look, the whole thing is based on machines being similar. +4 is a professional, high-level standard. Used to be, all the stuff you'd find in a studio was +4, it all played nice together.

-10 came into the studio in the 80's with the first home recording stuff. Manufacturers realized that home recorders didn't want to pay pro prices, and that 97.3% of the time, they wouldn't notice if all their equipment used RCA plugs because everything would operate at -10, with input sensitivities and output levels matching up. Noise was demoted in importance.

The problem now is that manufacturers started placing +4/-10 switches on things to help interface equipment that used different operating levels, and everyone's confused.

Now - is the 003 rated at +4 or -10? Is the 1073 rated at +4 or -10?

You'd want to use +4 on the 003 unless the 1073 is rated at -10, which is doubtful.

+4 on output = more voltage, stronger output

-10 on output = lower voltage, lower output

+4 on input = less sensitive, but capable of handling much greater voltages, hence more headroom - it can take more level before distorting

-10 on input = more sensitive input, coresponding to the lower output of -10 equipment.

So, the danger in going from a -10 device to a +4 device is raised noise floor as the +4 machine makes up for the feeble output from the -10 machine.

The danger in going from a +4 machine into -10 is distortion on the input of the -10 machine because it can't handle the larger voltage swings from the +4 machine.

Now, if you don't understand the difference between voltage and current, and how something could be referenced to a certain voltage, please, you really should grab a basic electronics book and read it. You'll lose a couple of days of your life, but then you'll actually begin to understand what your equipment is doing, and everything you record the rest of your life will be better.
Old 26th December 2013
Gear Guru

The problem I had going from my DAV BG-1 into my M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
was that M-Audio never intended their interface to be used with outboard +4 professional gear.

It was designed as an All-In-One prosumer unit, with Their preamps and converters, assuming you were just plugging in a mic or instrument direct.

M-Audio-Digi Rep told me I had 1 input, the front guitar jack that does not route the signal through their preamps, so I had to use an XLR to TS cable going out of the DAV-BG1.

I considered going to Apogee, but the Apogee rep said they handle +4 input signal with a virtual software pad.

Future project studio interface designers might want to provide at least 2 I/O's
where you can totally bypass their internal preamps running outboard +4 gear.
Old 8th January 2014
Here for the gear

Wow I've been wondering about this for a while. Thanks!
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Head

very good stuff. and also very good suggestion to read up on basic electronics terminology and principles, the little i learned on my own did me a lot of good. i'm going to go back and have another thumb through my Electronics for Dummies - which by the way if you're looking for something like that, is a very good choice and not really "for dummies" at all, more like "for people who aren't electrical engineers." :-)
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

camus wrote: "Digital has no headroom. Your calibration level (0VU=-20dBFS, -18dBFS etc) determines the amount of headroom you give yourself. "

Actually digital does have headroom - in a manner of speaking. Using the generally accepted 18dB correlation(0dBu = -18dBfs), with 0dBu = 0.775Vrms, 18dBu(0fs) = 6.152VRms.

Link to calculator: dB dBu dBFS dBV to volts audio conversion digital - calculator volt to dBu and dBV dB mW SPL dB decibels 0 dBFS - convert dB volt normal decibels relatioship relation explanation analog audio absolute level true rms convertor converter decibel to dbf

And Bob Katz with his K-metering concept, along with others in the industry, are trying to do just that - reestablish the art of headroom engineering.

What's screwing up folks trying to set up k-metering is that this usually requires them to crank up their monitoring chain much higher than they are used to.

The existing gain staging prior to that(in mixing or mastering), usually results in them blasting themselves across the street because they don't realize they need to reduce gains from that end - as in don't mix, process, master as hot as used to. LOL!

Observing(and gain staging acc. to) this correlation effectively ends the loudness race because everyone has a common 'zero' to shoot for - albeit much further down the scale, corresponding to analog, where it belongs.
Old 31st July 2014
Here for the gear
I thought the whole dB input and output thing was causing me problems with my set up. I have a yamaha MQ 1602 mixer which has been modded with direct outs. This is handy because I can use the pre's on the 1602 when tracking to my tascam ms-16 (1" tape machine). I'm using the PGM main xlr outs (+4dB) on the 1602 board to the xlr inputs on each powered studio monitor (Presonus Eris E8's).

Now here is the problem: Even with the monitors turned all the way up , when I roll playback on the tape machine (routed to the board via XLR outs on the tape machine and 1/4" in's on the board) the sound coming out the monitors is extremely quiet. Is there a way to beef up the signal between the board main outs and monitors? I tried boosting it with my liquid saffire 56 and it makes it louder but also adds a lot of hiss. Is there just a power amp I need that has xlr in's and out's to fix this problem? I tried a DI box but had no relsuts. Would the Rolls unit posted earlier on this thread fix my problem? Does my board just not have enough gain because it is vintage ?

The 1/4" outputs for each channel on this board are +4.
This board also has attenuating level nobs that go from -60 to +4 on each channel, instead of your usual trim or gain nobs.
I am getting a loud enough signal on the board because the peak lights turns on intermittently and the VU on the channel on the tape machine's track I am recording on is at its proper level.

I am completely stumped as to why my main out's/headphone out on the mixer are not giving me adequate volume to either my headphones or my powered monitors.

I have just discover that the board I own operates at +4 on the ALL the outputs and requires balanced cables.
I have also discovered that the RCA inputs and outputs on the Reel to Reel operate at -10 Dbv.

I use to be feeding the +4 inputs of my board with the -10 RCA outputs of the tape machine and Vice Versa. I thought that by instead using the +4 XLR in's and out's on the tape machine that this would fix my problem, but NO it did not.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP !!
Old 25th August 2014
While we are on this topic then. Im not a newb but made I newb error the other day. I got new monitors, forgot to switch them from -10 th the +4 and ran them for a few hours with my echo audiofire feeding them a +4 output while they were set for -10. They are the lsr 305 jbls and I had the rear speakers set at 6 and was controlling them with the smpro monito controller. I did not have them running loud at all but do you think it hurt them ?????

Ive already corrected the issue and swithced the sensativity on the rear of the speaker to +4. and the speakers seem to be running fine. Id assume if I jacked them up id be able to audibly hear any issues ????
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

They're fine.
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxually View Post
I thought the whole dB input and output thing was causing me problems with my set up. I have a yamaha MQ 1602 mixer which has been modded with direct outs. This is handy because I can use the pre's on the 1602 when tracking to my tascam ms-16 (1" tape machine). I'm using the PGM main xlr outs (+4dB) on the 1602 board to the xlr inputs on each powered studio monitor (Presonus Eris E8's).

Now here is the problem: Even with the monitors turned all the way up , when I roll playback on the tape machine (routed to the board via XLR outs on the tape machine and 1/4" in's on the board) the sound coming out the monitors is extremely quiet. Is there a way to beef up the signal between the board main outs and monitors? I tried boosting it with my liquid saffire 56 and it makes it louder but also adds a lot of hiss. Is there just a power amp I need that has xlr in's and out's to fix this problem? I tried a DI box but had no relsuts. Would the Rolls unit posted earlier on this thread fix my problem? Does my board just not have enough gain because it is vintage ?

The 1/4" outputs for each channel on this board are +4.
This board also has attenuating level nobs that go from -60 to +4 on each channel, instead of your usual trim or gain nobs.
I am getting a loud enough signal on the board because the peak lights turns on intermittently and the VU on the channel on the tape machine's track I am recording on is at its proper level.

I am completely stumped as to why my main out's/headphone out on the mixer are not giving me adequate volume to either my headphones or my powered monitors.

I have just discover that the board I own operates at +4 on the ALL the outputs and requires balanced cables.
I have also discovered that the RCA inputs and outputs on the Reel to Reel operate at -10 Dbv.

I use to be feeding the +4 inputs of my board with the -10 RCA outputs of the tape machine and Vice Versa. I thought that by instead using the +4 XLR in's and out's on the tape machine that this would fix my problem, but NO it did not.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP !!
So the Tascam has XLR ins and outs? Is there a switch to choose output level? Do you have a manual? What's the level like if you use a microphone into a mic input on your board?
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
The 1602 manual says the input level is selectable, you can easily add gain to any signal obviously. If it doesn't work at +4, try it at -10, and go up until it is good.

The 1602 PGM outputs are +18 dBu max.

Therefore there should be no issue with volume in your monitors. Most monitors produce their maximum output at a mere +4 dBu or less.

I could not find the Tascam manual to confirm its operating level. Either way, there should be no problem in your setup unless you're doing something wrong or its broken somewhere.

All you have to do to check level is get a tone source at a known level (+4 dBu) and feed it out the PGM at unity and see if the output level is the same as the input level.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...rs/MQ1602E.pdf
Old 26th September 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
The 1602 manual says the input level is selectable, you can easily add gain to any signal obviously. If it doesn't work at +4, try it at -10, and go up until it is good.

The 1602 PGM outputs are +18 dBu max.

Therefore there should be no issue with volume in your monitors. Most monitors produce their maximum output at a mere +4 dBu or less.

I could not find the Tascam manual to confirm its operating level. Either way, there should be no problem in your setup unless you're doing something wrong or its broken somewhere.

All you have to do to check level is get a tone source at a known level (+4 dBu) and feed it out the PGM at unity and see if the output level is the same as the input level.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...rs/MQ1602E.pdf
Hey guys thanks to a good friend who came and helped me out I have resolved the problem. We finally took the console apart to examine the connections and wouldn't you know the pgm main outs were disconnected from it's power source !! This must have happened during shipping. The whole time I was merely hearing the noise floor of the console. We simply snapped together the disconnected mains and Wa Lah...plenty of head room and gain...my monitors were screaming ! I actually get so much volume out of this board that I had to turn the volume on the monitors almost all the way down. Thanks to all who inquired to help ......Anyway, does anyone know of a cost efficient way to get 16 channels of gates? (without compression or limiters included). Any suggestions out there on a make and model ?
Quote:
From the thread +4db, -10db...what does all this mean exactly? on 3rd Jan 2011

I thought the whole dB input and output thing was causing me problems with my set up. I have a yamaha MQ 1602 mixer which has been modded with direct outs. This is handy because I can use the pre's on the 1602 when tracking to my tascam ms-16 (1 tape machine). I'm using the PGM main xlr outs (+4dB) on the 1602 board to the xlr inputs on each powered studio monitor (Presonus Eris E8's).

Now here is the problem: Even with the monitors turned all the way up , when I roll playback on the tape machine (routed to the board via XLR outs on the tape machine and 1/4 in's on the board) the sound coming out the monitors is extremely quiet. Is there a way to beef up the signal between the board main outs and monitors? I tried boosting it with my liquid saffire 56 and it makes it louder but also adds a lot of hiss. Is there just a power amp I need that has xlr in's and out's to fix this problem? I tried a DI box but had no relsuts. Would the Rolls unit posted earlier on this thread fix my problem? Does my board just not have enough gain because it is vintage ?

The 1/4 outputs for each channel on this board are +4.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP !!

Last edited by Maxually; 26th September 2014 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: mispelled word
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys thanks to a good friend who came and helped me out I have resolved the problem. We finally took the console apart to examine the connections and wouldn't you know the pgm main outs were disconnected from it's power source !! This must have happened during shipping. The whole time I was merely hearing the noise floor of the console. We simply snapped together the disconnected mains and Wa Lah...plenty of head room and gain...my monitors were screaming ! I actually get so much volume out of this board that I had to turn the volume on the monitors almost all the way down. Thanks to all who inquired to help ......Anyway, does anyone know of a cost efficient way to get 16 channels of gates? (without compression or limiters included). Any suggestions out there on a make and model ?

Remember though: Lower monitor volumes will encourage the use of more compression and limiting.

Study up on the K-system metering calibration developed by Bob Katz.
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_mccue View Post
big V or little v?
There are some erroneous stuff in this thread.

In technology and science the globally standardised SI-system is in use since 1960 in order to avoid personal or local expressions for units and prefixes. Yes, in some parts of the world imperial metrics are still in use but even that is standardised.

Electric potential = V or volt

Decibel = dB

Which gives dBV and the reference is 1V for 0dBV and nothing else.

For example, you do not write DBv, db, dbv.
If you want to short millivolt you write mV, not MV which is megavolts, the same as when you write millimeter in the short form, it's mm, not Mm.

It's advisable for a professional or any serious amateur to use accepted and standardised terminology.
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
It's advisable for a professional or any serious amateur to use accepted and standardised terminology.
Good post.
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
There are some erroneous stuff in this thread.

In technology and science the globally standardised SI-system is in use since 1960 in order to avoid personal or local expressions for units and prefixes. Yes, in some parts of the world imperial metrics are still in use but even that is standardised.

Electric potential = V or volt

Decibel = dB

Which gives dBV and the reference is 1V for 0dBV and nothing else.

For example, you do not write DBv, db, dbv.
If you want to short millivolt you write mV, not MV which is megavolts, the same as when you write millimeter in the short form, it's mm, not Mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Voltage

"Originally dBv, it was changed to dBu to avoid confusion with dBV.[35]"
Old 3rd November 2014
Here for the gear

So whats the max DB that can blow a 15" speaker?
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Maniac

But how do we find out what we are supposed to use on our interface? I have a saffire pro 40, I can't find anywhere, where it will tell me if the inputs are -10 or +4 so I just keep the outboard gear at -10. Although +4 is louder.
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Maniac

But how do we find out what we are supposed to use on our interface? I have a saffire pro 40, I can't find anywhere, where it will tell me if the inputs are -10 or +4 so I just keep the outboard gear at -10. Although +4 is louder.
Old 25th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffirepro40 View Post
Specifications | Focusrite

"Line Inputs

Maximum level (A-weighted): 28.5dBu at 1%"

dB dBu dBFS dBV to volts audio conversion digital - calculator volt to dBu and dBV dB mW SPL dB decibels 0 dBFS - convert dB volt normal decibels relatioship relation explanation analog audio absolute level true rms convertor converter decibel to dbf
Old 5th December 2014
Here for the gear

And how to convert a +4 output in a -10 signal? I want to connect my mixer balanced monitor out to my speakers amp (rca). My mixer out converts the output in unbalanced if you plug a TS but i think the signal level is the same, +4db.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search