The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ before or after compression and Reverb ? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear Maniac

I like good recording engineers, and I like order and doing things in sequence and all that, but sometimes you just have to try to blow something up or at least make an intentional mistake.

if nobody is going to die from that mistake, and nothing is going to blow up, then what harm will it do to put the reverb first, then compress that, then EQ that ?
Old 24th July 2012
EQ, compressing and at last reverb and delays.
my two cents....

R.
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
EQ, compressing and at last reverb and delays.
my two cents....

R.
+1

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz App
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Last time I did an A/B comparison, putting a reverb plug in on individual channels colored the sound, and not in a good way.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Nut

I usually TRIM , EQ ,Limit or comp ,gate ,comp ,EQ
I like to EQ lowend sources before comp so it comps the tone I want then EQ again later if the comp changes it to much. I don't do this often but thats how my inserts look so I can just do whatever I need to. Its all good to go ,apply as need be . I use the same plugs for everything unless I want to muck up a sound somehow.

I find for myself as a new comer (to daws but not audio recording) sticking with the basics and the same basics at that, really helps me learn there sound so I really know when it sounds good. Not a fan of 1000 different plugs . I have my favs for each purpose and thats all I want to use. Unless I need something else of coarse.
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peschinator View Post
Reverb should always be sent through your aux sends - never as an insert.
Necroing, but...

I strongly disagree. It depends on the application of course, but sometimes reverb can sound separated from the vocals if sent through an aux send—almost as if it's a separate track I know a lot of the time it also depends on the settings of the reverb, but like I said, at times the reverb can sound disconnected.
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear
Although I usually insert compressor post eq, I have to say that this is not a rule. I quite often insert compressor before eq, especially on the bass. It totally depends why I use the EQ and what I want to achieve.

Reverb is usually on a post-fader aux send and therefore also post eq, but I'd sometimes use the EQ on the return too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadWing View Post
Necroing, but...

I strongly disagree. It depends on the application of course, but sometimes reverb can sound separated from the vocals if sent through an aux send—almost as if it's a separate track I know a lot of the time it also depends on the settings of the reverb, but like I said, at times the reverb can sound disconnected.
While it might make sense to use the reverb as an insert in some rare cases it sounds like you have used pre-EQ/insert/fader aux. If you insert reverb on a stereo channel after EQ and compressor, it should sound the same as using it on post fader aux. If you put the reverb before the compressor, the compressor increases the level of the reverb when there is no input signal. Usually this sounds unnatural, but can be used as a cool effect, although I'd usually do this with sidechained ducker or compressor on the reverb return, because this allows more control.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Ok the reverb on aux, the same way for delay? After reverb or before?
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo46 View Post
Ok the reverb on aux, the same way for delay? After reverb or before?
Yes. If you're planing to use delay and reverb together, it usually makes more sense to put the delay before the reverb, you might also want to have some delay routed to the mix bus.
It mostly depends on what you want to achieve.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Maniac
which first

eq first. BUT: position mic, find sweet spot, trying to lessen the need for eq, while in most cases some comp helps. mic choice and placement should be first consideration, imo.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I EQ before and/or after as needed.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Or.. 'Eq on the aux send-can't believe the is HighEnd '
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search