The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the difference be tween MIDI IN and MIDI OUT
Old 12th November 2009
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
What is the difference be tween MIDI IN and MIDI OUT

MIDI IN is to play and record your instruments, so what does MIDI OUT mean? Also the same goes for headphones. Headphones IN is to plug in your headphones and listen to music, so what does HEADPHONES OUT mean? And does this IN and OUT mean all the same when dealing with the recording world?
Old 12th November 2009
  #2
Gear Nut
It depends what hardware its on.

On a module like a synth, MIDI OUT is where the MIDI signal comes from, sending data to say, a sequencer for explanations purpose.
MIDI IN, on the synth, would be where it takes MIDI data from external hardware, for instance a controller keyboard, or a sequencer.

However this is reversed on other hardware, say a MIDI interface connected to a sequencer. MIDI OUT would go to the MIDI IN on a synth, so you can control the synth.
MIDI IN, would be where MIDI data goes into to the device, say from a controller keyboard.

So lets put this into practice, why would we use these?

Say I have a synth with a keyboard, and a second module which has no keys. I plug the MIDI OUT of my main keyboard, into the MIDI IN on the receiving module. Now I can control the module with my keyboard.

OR

I come to record a section, which is too fast for me too play. I'll connect the MIDI OUT of my interface into the MIDI IN on my synth. I'll connect the AUDIO outputs of my synth into my interface. Now I can sequence the part I can't play with my software, and record the audio while it's being played for me.

Of course you can do FAR more, but this should explain it for you.
Old 29th March 2017
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Hmmm, I was hoping this thread would clear it up for me. Practical problem I'm solving is that I need to configure a Clavinova and a Boss Synth module in a way that I can play the keyboard with the synth sounds. How would I configure the cables to do that? (I'm traveling to set this up elsewhere so no time for simple trail and error.) Thanks in advance.
Old 29th March 2017
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

maybe this helps:
Attached Thumbnails
What is the difference be tween MIDI IN and MIDI OUT-bildschirmfoto-2017-03-29-um-20.45.56.jpg   What is the difference be tween MIDI IN and MIDI OUT-bildschirmfoto-2017-03-29-um-20.49.20.png  
Old 29th March 2017
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salutem View Post
MIDI IN is to play and record your instruments, so what does MIDI OUT mean? Also the same goes for headphones. Headphones IN is to plug in your headphones and listen to music, so what does HEADPHONES OUT mean? And does this IN and OUT mean all the same when dealing with the recording world?
Well, it is not always the case, that if you plug something INTO somewhere that this is automatically an input.
So you plug your headphone INTO the headphone OUT of your audio interface for example. But it´s still the output of your audio interface you plug it into.

I teach my students the RULE of INs and OUTs:
Every device in a recording-chain at least has one input and one output. and we must always connect an output to an input. While this seems to be a simple rule, sometimes it´s not obvious to people where the input and output of a device might be.

I made a little drawing (I´m not good at drawing) to illustrate:
The OUTPUT of the singer is his mouth. We connect the mouth with the INPUT of the microphone (capsule-membrane). Then we connect the OUTPUT of the mic with mic-INPUT of the mixer. The OUTPUT of the mixer is connected with the INPUT of the amplifier.
Amp-OUT goes to speaker-IN. Speaker-OUT (membrane) goes to singer-IN (Ears).

The same would be true if you connect a headphone to your mixer. the jack of your headphones is your headphone IN. So if you plug your headphone INTO your mixer, you are again connecting the headphone-OUT of your mixer with the headphone-IN (jack) of your phones. The output of your headphones is again the membrane which again is connected to your INPUT (ears).
The same is basically true for MIDI connections. But MIDI connections in the form of USB connections are bi-directional (also true for audio interfaces).
Puuhh, my longest post till now. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
What is the difference be tween MIDI IN and MIDI OUT-bildschirmfoto-2017-03-29-um-21.14.54.jpg  
Old 29th March 2017
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

OMG, just discovered the thread is 8 years old, haha.
OK, at least i tried to be helpful.
Old 30th March 2017
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
OMG, just discovered the thread is 8 years old, haha.
OK, at least i tried to be helpful.
Well, someone bumped it asking a new question, so maybe not totally futile!
Old 13th August 2017
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
OMG, just discovered the thread is 8 years old, haha.
OK, at least i tried to be helpful.
Well, thank you kind sir !

It's more clear than ever in my mind, not like it's hard to get but it can be confusing, as when we forget our left and our right...

Nice illustration btw ! Haha
Old 13th August 2017
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
Well, it is not always the case, that if you plug something INTO somewhere that this is automatically an input.
So you plug your headphone INTO the headphone OUT of your audio interface for example. But it´s still the output of your audio interface you plug it into.

I teach my students the RULE of INs and OUTs:
Every device in a recording-chain at least has one input and one output. and we must always connect an output to an input. While this seems to be a simple rule, sometimes it´s not obvious to people where the input and output of a device might be.

I made a little drawing (I´m not good at drawing) to illustrate:
The OUTPUT of the singer is his mouth. We connect the mouth with the INPUT of the microphone (capsule-membrane). Then we connect the OUTPUT of the mic with mic-INPUT of the mixer. The OUTPUT of the mixer is connected with the INPUT of the amplifier.
Amp-OUT goes to speaker-IN. Speaker-OUT (membrane) goes to singer-IN (Ears).

The same would be true if you connect a headphone to your mixer. the jack of your headphones is your headphone IN. So if you plug your headphone INTO your mixer, you are again connecting the headphone-OUT of your mixer with the headphone-IN (jack) of your phones. The output of your headphones is again the membrane which again is connected to your INPUT (ears).
The same is basically true for MIDI connections. But MIDI connections in the form of USB connections are bi-directional (also true for audio interfaces).
Puuhh, my longest post till now. Hope this helps!
thanks for this! I'm always trying to find better ways to explain this. I always default back to the garden hose trying to water plants.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
maim9 / So much gear, so little time!
13
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
0
supersuper / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
shamrakov / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump