The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you know a reverb that can do that?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Do you know a reverb that can do that?

Hello everyone,

So let me preface my question by saying I prefer the sound of spring reverb to plates mainly because the "bloom" is at the beggining rather than on the tail.

Most reverbs I've tried let me dial in the amount of decay, the predelay and the amount of early reflection or late reflection and stuff like that but never have I found a reverb with a feature where I could carve where I want the bloom to be, think of it like carving a volume automation of the reverb decay during the chosen time of the latter.

Does it make sense?

I know I can do that manually with an automation curve but I mean it doesn't seem very practical.

I would like to have for example a feature that shows a graph just like with an EQ but instead of having frequency on the X axis, you would have the time of the decay you've chosen so let's say between 0 and 2 for example, and then on the graph you could carve the way the decay blooms early and then dies off.

(Also i realize changing the amount of early and late reflection somewhat does what I'm asking for but it's nowhere as precise as I would like it to be)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Waves H reverb does all that.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
Waves H reverb does all that.
You're right, thanks for the suggestion, it's a shame waves reverbs don't sound as good as UAD to me though, Waves really has some great utility features most of the time.

Made me think that maybe I can just put an eveloppe plugin or something like that before or after UAD reverb and get the same result.

But I'm not familiar with such type of plugins, someone using a lot of synths and modulation could probably help though?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybille View Post
..Does it make sense? ..
Yes. And what you're looking for ..and is a standard function (modifier) in most decent Lexicons for example is Shape (and Spread.
Different algorithms (verb types) may have basic starting points -plates bloom immediately, halls can build slower for example. But Shape modifies when and how -or where they build within their set decay times.
Page 3-26 here for example-
https://lexiconpro.com/en/product_do..._guide_rev1pdf
Sort of like 'when or where within a given decay time the verb speaks'.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
You're right, thanks for the suggestion, it's a shame waves reverbs don't sound as good as UAD to me though, Waves really has some great utility features most of the time.

Made me think that maybe I can just put an eveloppe plugin or something like that before or after UAD reverb and get the same result.
You could maybe investigate Exponential Audio's reverbs:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...%20for%20music

The reverbs that belong to the "R family" are I think closer to the more 'musical' reverbs along the lines of Lexicon etc, whereas the others are cleaner. So it'd be the R2 and R4 and finally the Symphony reverbs - all the same foundation in terms of the sound but with different features.

If I remember correctly at least the Symphony allows for more control including applying for example compression on the tail of the sound. So you could hypothetically trigger that compression or envelope with the input signal and allow it to release when you feel like which means the tail would come up when you want it to.

Definitely check those out (programmed by Michael Carnes who programmed for Lexicon. really great sounding reverbs)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You're right, thanks for the suggestion, it's a shame waves reverbs don't sound as good as UAD to me though, Waves really has some great utility features most of the time
Yeah I can relate to that, I like H reverb and abbey road plates, but it does leave sheen on the track to my ears. Lately, I've been using IK "Sunset Studio Reverb" its their new one, fun to play with. But not as much tweaking options to it
📝 Reply