The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Record vocals dynamic vs condenser
Old 17th November 2020

I thought the paragraph I pasted below was interesting, curious how many people prefer dynamics and in which situation.

HARMONICS & OVERTONES
Just like any other instrument, a vocal has harmonics and overtones that shape the way the voice sounds. While there are other elements like pitch accuracy and pocketing with the song, harmonics are the biggest factor for me when determining the potential of a certain voice to sound a specific way.

If a singer has a lot of harmonic variation in their voice, it can be difficult to capture the root of their performance using a condenser mic. It actually becomes almost too detailed – making it difficult for tuning software and other plugins to work their best on the source

Full article here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.joe...-record-vocals
Old 19th November 2020
Simply, I prefer the mic sounding best with the singer to be recorded. Often I know beforehand if it's gonna be a dynamic or condenser, but sometimes I know shyte.
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo ➡️
Simply, I prefer the mic sounding best with the singer to be recorded.
Wow really? I prefer the mic sounding worst with the singer to be recorded.

Dynamics vs condensers is an interesting exercise. IMO condensers tend to be overrated and dynamics underrated for studio performance, generally speaking.

Also generally speaking, I think genre plays a bit part. More in your face music tends to work better with dynamics, more complex, nuanced stuff with condensers. As far as singers, dynamics seem to worst best on "booming" voices which tend to not vary very much (I think this is what the article was basically getting at), condensers the opposite...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➡️
Wow really? I prefer the mic sounding worst with the singer to be recorded.

Dynamics vs condensers is an interesting exercise. IMO condensers tend to be overrated and dynamics underrated for studio performance, generally speaking.

Also generally speaking, I think genre plays a bit part. More in your face music tends to work better with dynamics, more complex, nuanced stuff with condensers. As far as singers, dynamics seem to worst best on "booming" voices which tend to not vary very much (I think this is what the article was basically getting at), condensers the opposite...
I may seem like an idiot to you, but what I wanted to say is that many people don't take time to find out what's best for the voice and style to be recorded and simply use their most expensive condenser.

Since everyone in YT vids uses an SM7B, I don't know whether dynamics are underrated for studio use, but definitely many people are afraid to try them. Among the mics I tend to shootout on a voice (not always all of them) are said SM7B, RE20, MD441 and 421, SM57 and some SM58 style mic by LD systems. That costs 49€ and sounds incredibly good.

Genre does play a part, but the other day, I recorded a smokey screamer and was sure it's the Shure, but we settled on the U47fet instead which usually is not great for that style.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Simply, I prefer the mic sounding best with the singer to be recorded. Often I know beforehand if it's gonna be a dynamic or condenser, but sometimes I know shyte.
True, it really depends on the music, singer, tone, volume, etc.
Plenty of Sure 58s have been used on major recordings and load vocals.

But on some singers they just dont sound good at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I may seem like an idiot to you
Not at all, just kidding, it just sounded funny to me the way it came out
Old 20th November 2020
Good points. Seems like louder music, ie; stoner rock, doom metal, where the vocals are kind of buried in the mix, seem better with a dynamic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo ➡️
Good points. Seems like louder music, ie; stoner rock, doom metal, where the vocals are kind of buried in the mix, seem better with a dynamic.
Funny you say that -- you mentioned stoner rock, and I immediately thought "I bet Red Fang have some videos of themselves in the studio." And I assumed they'd probably be using highly abusable dynamic mics, too, like sm7s or RE20s.

So a short Google search later, sure enough, here's Red Fang recording vocals... on a Tele 251?! About the last thing I would have expected!

Old 20th November 2020
Hmmm.... Id be curious what Kyuss and Fu manchu used then
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Dynamic microphones or directional mics are suitable for home studio purposes where the room is not treated well. Mostly used for band practices.
if the room is applied acoustic treatment and made soundproof, go for Condenser as it gives you a professional sound and bright tone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
My aesthetic preference is always toward high-end SDC and LDC microphones over dynamics for vocals - and most everything else. [1]

@ Progger - The 251 configuration [inside of an isolation shield] made me cry. . .even with Red Fang, this seems an appalling and horrific crime.

Here is Al Green & Lyle Lovett with an old tune that has a great groove, yet where I wish a couple great 251 or 47 mics would have been employed. Instead, we have another crime. . .

it looks - and sounds - like we were SM7B'd.

Ray H.

[1] With the exception of my AEA A400 ribbon here or there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I mean.... I think Red Fang's goal most of the time is to make people cry. But I love 'em anyway!
Old 1 week ago
Recorded vocals with a Sennheiser 441 the other week as the singer specifically asked for it.
I have to say I was pretty floored. I have used it for vocals in the past but it seems I had forgotten how good it is. Has to fit the voice, but I find that's true with every mic, although some fit more and others less.
📝 Reply