The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best way to showcase your mix?
Old 27th October 2020
Here for the gear

Best way to showcase your mix?

Hey everyone!

I am a young Norwegian mix engineer who has been doing this for a few years now, and I've just gotten to the point where I have the confidence to finally start getting paid to mix for customers.

My problem is that I'm a bit lazy - when I finish a mix draft and would like to send it to a customer, I've been uploading the mix privately to my soundcloud account, and linking it to them. After comparing and doing some research, it's obvious that SoundCloud lowers the quality of your audio to 128kbps - not exactly ideal.

So, instead of doing the good thing, which would be to send them the full quality .wav with some dropouts in it, is there any alternative to SoundCloud I could use for this purpose, that doesn't compress my files? An online streaming service of some sort?

Thank you in advance, really happy I signed up for this forum!!

/Sivert
Old 29th October 2020
Any FTP services will do. Look at Dropbox, Hightail, and Sendspace to name a few
Old 29th October 2020
What happens if you make a contract that says that you own the work until payment is received. Like a transfer of deed. Or is there not such a thing?

Because,what is stopping someone from sending the audio out of digital into analog then re recording the sample.

I would think that Radio quality samples (soundcloud) would be good enough?
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
What happens if you make a contract that says that you own the work until payment is received. Like a transfer of deed. Or is there not such a thing?

Because,what is stopping someone from sending the audio out of digital into analog then re recording the sample.

I would think that Radio quality samples (soundcloud) would be good enough?
He is talking about sending a mix to a client to review and sign off on. Usually payment is made before you start mixing the song. So there is no issues regarding payment.

What you are talking about is samples or beats, and you can put your own 'water marks (audio tags)' on them.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Any FTP services will do. Look at Dropbox, Hightail, and Sendspace to name a few
I actually didn’t think about that. I’m looking into getting 2TB of Google Drive, perhaps that will work. Thanks!
Old 29th October 2020
Then i dont understand the OPs question.

What is the difference in time it takes between uploading a .wav file to soundcloud vs uploading a .wav file on drop box or sending a file via email? Other than the apparent change in audio quality on soundcloud?

Why add dropouts and watermarks if the song is already paid for by the client?
Old 29th October 2020
Quote:
Then i dont understand the OPS question.
That's fine, the poster understood my answer and that's all that matters. I do not understand everything. Its impossible!
Quote:
That's what i said about samples of Beats, not mixing someone's tracks and sending it to them. Those are 2 different things entirely and are handled differently
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
Then i dont understand the OPs question.

What is the difference in time it takes between uploading a .wav file to soundcloud vs uploading a .wav file on drop box or sending a file via email? Other than the apparent change in audio quality on soundcloud?

It's not too much about the time it takes, it's more about the audio quality. I want the client to hear the audio in as good quality as possible.

I don't always get the payment up front - sometimes people want me to do test-mixes to see if it's worth it - that's when I'll want to use an online service.
Old 29th October 2020
Ah. I see. Well in that case its just a sample request. That you havent gotten paid for.
Im also wondering if the audio differnce is going to be that noticeable to someone who hasnt paid you in advance.

Or just send a "Taster" clip in email as a wav file.

Basically, i was curious if theres a way to stop people from ripping you off.

While also allowing you to provide a sample of some sort. Without providing the whole song.
Or providing the whole song for review but owning the rights so its basically your song until they pay you.
📝 Reply