The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are Bluetooth IEMs Usable?
Old 14th September 2020
Here for the gear

Are Bluetooth IEMs Usable?

I am soon to buy a better set of IEMs to replace my very cheap set which are tolerable but could be better. As I browse the internet I see a lot of sets of IEMs which are Bluetooth exclusively, or wire-optional with a Bluetooth kit. Suffice to say, I am skeptical.

A major reason for new IEMs is that I am primarily a singer, so latency is a big concern here. It would be wonderful to get wireless IEMs for my little home practise space, but I have serious concerns that anything that uses Bluetooth can be fast enough for me to feel comfortable singing with it.

Has anyone had experience with these kinds of IEM set-ups? I'm thinking specifically of one's like Shure's RMCE-BT2 kit. I see bundles of the wireless kit with their SE215 monitors (which are top of my list as my first proper IEMs) selling for about as much as the monitors alone, which makes them tempting, but I just can't see it working!

Does anyone know if these can deliver the sub-10ms latency I'd need to want to use them?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Not only will bluetooth have latency issues, it will have quality issues. I am pretty sure that the IEMs that advertise with bluetooth are meant to be bluetooth ready. As in to say...Use the wire for recording and what not, but then you could also use them as just bluetooth earbuds for listening to music on your phone in bed or whatever.

There are a nice amount of what I would consider cheap but very good wired IEMs out there. I don't know where you are from but I am from Canada. Check these...
https://www.amazon.ca/Earphones-Yiny...0388815&sr=8-5

Here is the American link...
https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-KZ-ZS...0388865&sr=8-3

You will not be disappointed. Especially for the price.
Old 18th September 2020
No dice.

I recently got a bluetooth transmitter that does the latest and greatest supposedly low latency modes - it's intended for late night TV watching duties. But, I decided to give it a try as an IEM to see what's what. Horrible. Completely unusuable latency. Dubious audio quality. Mediocre reliability. It was worth a try, but nope, not even close. I guess that's why we don't see musos everywhere using bluetooth earbuds for monitoring!

The Xvive U4 is looking like the lowest price wireless IEM option that works thusfar. I am considering one.
📝 Reply