The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Equipment Setup and Issues with Distortion
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

Equipment Setup and Issues with Distortion

Hi all!
I'm pretty much a newbie and am currently trying to figure out the issue with my current set up with trying to record my keyboard.
I have a Casio PX-330 keyboard connected to a Behringer Ultra-DI100 DI box (with 1/4 jacks), to a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer (XLR to 1/4 jack), to a Behringer UCA222 audio interface (RCA) and finally to my computer (USB).
The DAW I currently use is Tracktion 7 on a Dell Inspiron 13.
While attempting to record my piano, there is a really bad noise, distortion, and delay. I can't seem to find a source. I have checked all cables, fiddled with GND lift, EQ, gain, and levels, but I can't seem to make any difference. Is there any issues with my set up perhaps?
Even when I turn the clicks on in global track on my DAW, the tempo is delayed and distorted. Should I switch to a different DAW or is this an issue with my set up?
Any advice helps!
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Unless you're mixing something else with the Xenyx 502, why not just connect the outputs of the PX 330 to the inputs of the UCA222 with (2) 1/4" TS to RCA cables? I have no clue as to why you have a DI box connected into the signal chain and you lose the stereo audio of the keyboard doing this. If you do need the Xenyx 502 for other inputs or monitoring of your playing, use (2) 1/4" to 1/4" TS cables from the PX-330 into a pair of the L/R line inputs on the mixer.
Are you using the Xenyx 502 RCA Tape connections to and from the UCA222? I think I've seen something like this in a manual for the Xenyx series mixers. There can be 'latency'/delay going to and from a DAW when monitoring and there may be some settings in the DAW that may reduce it, but not totally eliminate it.

Search for 'gain staging' on this site so you'll understand how to set levels on the keyboard and mixer.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsingkan View Post
I have a Casio PX-330 keyboard connected to a Behringer Ultra-DI100 DI box (with 1/4 jacks), to a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer (XLR to 1/4 jack), to a Behringer UCA222 audio interface (RCA) and finally to my computer (USB).
For starters - the connection from the DI box to the mixer should be an XLR cable into the mic input of the mixer. The output of the DI is mic level, so you need to go into a mic input. You currently have it plugged into a line level input, which probably results in you having to crank the gain, which adds noise.

You're also saying that you're getting distortion on the click track from your DAW.... what is your monitoring setup?
Old 15th August 2020
Quote:
Even when I turn the clicks on in global track on my DAW, the tempo is delayed and distorted. Should I switch to a different DAW or is this an issue with my set up?
I'll address your driver issue. The delay and distortion can be form your audio interface's driver not being configured correctly. The first thing you should do is to make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your audio interface. You get them at the audio interfaces manufactures page, not form the disk it came with, as those can be old. The newest one for your OS are the ones you need.

Also, you may not need the mixer, so take that out of your chain for now. Your audio interface has enough inputs and outs for what you describe.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I'll address your driver issue. The delay and distortion can be form your audio interface's driver not being configured correctly. The first thing you should do is to make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your audio interface. You get them at the audio interfaces manufactures page, not form the disk it came with, as those can be old. The newest one for your OS are the ones you need.

Also, you may not need the mixer, so take that out of your chain for now. Your audio interface has enough inputs and outs for what you describe.
The UMC222 uses ASIO4ALL. The latest would be v2.14.
Behringers driver link..... http://www.asio4all.org/
📝 Reply