The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Single mic signal into multiple mixer preamps
Old 13th August 2020
Single mic signal into multiple mixer preamps

I want to send a microphone signal to 6-8 mixer inputs. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to do this?
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Splitting the low level microphone output this many times will be problematic.
You will have impedance problems to.
Better make it line level first (mic preamp) and then split that.
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Splitting the low level microphone output this many times will be problematic.
You will have impedance problems to.
Better make it line level first (mic preamp) and then split that.
Thanks man, and what can I use to split it then. Combine multiple y cables?
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaem View Post
Yes you can use combine multiple y cables to split line level.
Just curious, why do you need the same signal on multiple inputs of the mixer?
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Yes you can use combine multiple y cables to split line level.
Just curious, why do you need the same signal on multiple inputs of the mixer?
I'm recording my own vocals and want to work with a hardware recorder in the future, like the tascam model 12 or the zoom L-12. Unfortunately it's always bad for the vibe if you have to switch the input every time you want to sing a new track. This way I can record about 6 tracks without switching any mic or input setting..
Old 15th August 2020
Quote:
Just say No to Y cables. I use this to split signals for bass,guitar and vox: Morley ABY Channel Switcher
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...hoCpKMQAvD_BwE
Old 15th August 2020
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm recording my own vocals and want to work with a hardware recorder in the future, like the tascam model 12 or the zoom L-12. Unfortunately it's always bad for the vibe if you have to switch the input every time you want to sing a new track. This way I can record about 6 tracks without switching any mic or input setting..
Hardware recorders are really software recorders mounted in a box. How long does switching the input on the little LCD screen take? Like 2 seconds? Compared to how long your song is?
Quote:
...want to work with a hardware recorder in the future,
As my grandmother used to say, you are "borrowing trouble".

I would suggest you wait until after you have gotten this hardware recorder and actually experienced how "difficult" or "easy" it is to arm a new track and tell that track to use the mic on input 1. Then if it turns out this is a huge, complicated task that really is "killing your vibe", go ahead and split your mic 6 times.

I know tons of people who have these hardware recorders and not one of them splits their mic to multiple inputs to speed up their workflow. Not one seems to feel it is a "time consuming" chore switching inputs on the new track. I don't think it's because their "vibe" is tougher or more robust than yours and can withstand the 'delay'.

I think it's because it really is a snap.
Old 18th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Hardware recorders are really software recorders mounted in a box. How long does switching the input on the little LCD screen take? Like 2 seconds? Compared to how long your song is?

As my grandmother used to say, you are "borrowing trouble".

I would suggest you wait until after you have gotten this hardware recorder and actually experienced how "difficult" or "easy" it is to arm a new track and tell that track to use the mic on input 1. Then if it turns out this is a huge, complicated task that really is "killing your vibe", go ahead and split your mic 6 times.

I know tons of people who have these hardware recorders and not one of them splits their mic to multiple inputs to speed up their workflow. Not one seems to feel it is a "time consuming" chore switching inputs on the new track. I don't think it's because their "vibe" is tougher or more robust than yours and can withstand the 'delay'.

I think it's because it really is a snap.
Thanks joeq for your answer. I feel the same way you do.

I finally decided against signal splitting as well. Just wanted to keep a few more options open.

I decided to go with the Tascam Model 12, where you can swap the recorded track to another channel and have the input channel free again. This works really well, without much menu diving and doesn't disturb my vibe/workflow.
๐Ÿ“ Reply