The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small waveforms from mic input. Problem?
Old 6th August 2020
Question Small waveforms from mic input. Problem?

My current signal chain is: Rode NT1-A -> WA12 pre-amp -(via line input to bypass Saffire pre-amp)--> Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 -> MacBook Pro w/ Reaper. My issue is that the signal is coming in super hot. Even with no gain, it is too hot. It basically goes from silent to clipping with any adjustment at all. I've experimented a bit with using the "PAD" button on the WA12 and it does help, but the resulting waveforms are very small. I'm going to crank the gain up further and test it out again. However, if they continue to come out small, is it a "safe" practice to use "shift + up arrow" on them to increase peak height? Will this cause any issues down the road with production/mixing? I want to be sure it isn't just artificially patching a bigger issue. I'm also going to try taking the WA12 out of the equation and running the Focusrite straight to my MacBook, although I kind of wanted to use the WA12 pre-amps. I've been told it's really a wash and there won't be any noticeable difference between the WA12 and the built-in pre-amps. Between this kind of issue and the absolutely horrid headphone output (starts distorting horribly if volume is turned up past 6) on this Focusrite, I can't wait for MOTU M4 units to get in stock so I can replace this thing! :-) Any help will be much appreciated. I've attached a photo for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Small waveforms from mic input. Problem?-small-wave.jpg  
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

What are the gain settings on the wa12 and pro14?
📝 Reply