The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hollywood Golden Years "sound"
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Head

Hollywood Golden Years "sound"

Hi!

Do you have any suggestions on how to approach mixing and mastering when trying to achieve this sound

https://www.universalproductionmusic...e-golden-years

Especially about
1) mono compatibility
2) use of reverbs (what kind?)
3) EQ (hipass/lopass)
4) FX: saturation? tape emulators?

Thanks a lot!!!!!
VP
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP_Music View Post
Hi!

Do you have any suggestions on how to approach mixing and mastering when trying to achieve this sound

Especially about
1) mono compatibility
3) EQ (hipass/lopass)

Thanks a lot!!!!!
VP
It starts with the musicians and their performances. Then the room and how it was mic'ed and ware each musician was plays a role. Start with that, then come back with a mix and then someone may have suggestions on what to use. But for now you have nothing to compare, so there is nothing to suggest.

You have to hear something in order to tell you ware to go with it. But that sounds starts with the musicians and how it was recorded. Not any of the FX you listed
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head

Thanks CJ Mastering but unfortunately this isn't feasible. Having real musician has always been a dream of mine but you know....budgets!

It's a production music album for a publisher so I was referring to "general tips and tricks" to achieve that sound in mixing ITB (not talking about composing/arranging technique which are obvious one have to master before).
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
I am curious about your topic, and though I don't know any special "tricks" or effects, I do think with music of that type, typically effects are sparse and light, so I'm not sure there is a lot to find out from that perspective. I would suggest asking over at VI Control; if anyone has that info, they do. Good luck!
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

It ain't gonna happen.

Cin cin
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
It ain't gonna happen.

Cin cin
What a brilliant reply.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
It ain't gonna happen.

Cin cin
May I add: "use your ears!!1!!!11!!!1"

Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP_Music View Post
Hi!

Especially about
1) mono compatibility
3) EQ (hipass/lopass)

Thanks a lot!!!!!
VP
Why is this sort of question always answered with so much negativity? It reveals that those who respond this way must have never had the challenge of having to accomplish this...

“Can’t be done” should be read as “I can’t do it”... but, that doesn’t mean that it cannot be done. It was done in the 1940s during the union strikes... music was cut by scabs, or by musicians in Mexican/Canadian studios... then the vocals were “overdubbed” in LA, by singing over a reamped playback of the music bed.

This is a sound design project as much as a mixing concept... now, if the OP has a bunch of janky a$$ sample libraries, no playing musicians, no feel, no skill, etc, there’s no reason that he still cannot create an incredibly rich sounding period correct tune in which the actual content sound likes donkey ballz. But, great players, arrangement, etc and a well thought out and executed mix plan and anybody can get a period correct sound... The biggest thing is creating spaces, environments... so, reverbs, where each element exists and commingles. UAD’s OceanWay, IK’s Sunset Sound, etc are good building blocks... that’s just one element of course.

It’s weird to me that one would think this is somehow impossible... It’s just a lot of work.

That being said, if the poster thinks that by simply throwing EQ, filters, and reverbs on his mix that he’ll get there he’s in for a long night!
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Head

You're absolutely right bgood!

For the record, I know that it's not just by putting plugins here and there that I'll get the sound I'm looking for. I'm lucky enough to be in the business for a long time so I've paid my dues (and made my mistakes!) and I've got really good orchestral VSTs.

My question was driven by what keeps me going on in this magical world of Music: curiosity.
In particular, curiosity on how other (and more experienced) mix engineers or composers would accomplish this task.

Thanks!
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
It starts with the musicians and their performances. Then the room and how it was mic'ed and ware each musician was plays a role. Start with that, then come back with a mix and then someone may have suggestions on what to use. But for now you have nothing to compare, so there is nothing to suggest.

You have to hear something in order to tell you ware to go with it. But that sounds starts with the musicians and how it was recorded. Not any of the FX you listed
What in the world is "ware"?
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
What in the world is "ware"?
Yuo have big problems if you do not know.
Its the way i like to spell it.

If you have a problem with understanding what i wrote, you should look into it, and if you have a problem with it, you know you know 'ware' to go.

Damn thanks for the laugh, again. That's twice..
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yuo have big problems if you do not know.
Its the way i like to spell it.

If you have a problem with understanding what i wrote, you should look into it, and if you have a problem with it, you know you know 'ware' to go.

Damn thanks for the laugh, again. That's twice..
Why do you like to spell it like that? How can anyone take you seriously if you don't know how to spell a basic word?
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Why do you like to spell it like that? How can anyone take you seriously if you don't know how to spell a basic word?
Why do people spell fat, like Phat? or wav file as wave file? I do not care

I also spell the word 'you're' as 'your' all the time, because i like to do it like that.

I have spell check an i choose override it, because i like the spelling the way ive been spelling it. because that's my preference.

I'm glad it bugs you. now if you have anything worth while for the poster, please chime in.
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Why do people spell fat, like Phat? or wav file as wave file?
Because "phat" is a slang term and "wav" is a file extension. If you don't know what a file extension is then look it up.

Quote:
I also spell the word 'you're' as 'your' all the time, because i like to do it like that.
And you're proud of that? That's what 12 year olds do. Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously? Lol.

Quote:
I have spell check an i choose override it, because i like the spelling the way ive been spelling it. because that's my preference.
How old are you? 12? Seriously, the more you post and the more you talk, the more entertainment you provide for the readers of this forum. Thank you!
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
How old are you? 12? Seriously, the more you post and the more you talk, the more entertainment you provide for the readers of this forum. Thank you!
The people that slam people for spelling in these forums are the people that i've found to be the saddest, jealous and the unhappiest. Dont worry, your life may get better. Or maybe not..

My prayers are with you/. and i say that with sincerity
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Really interesting quest Mr. OP. I love this kind of sound! I was working on a short project in the vein last year and it was super fun.
I'm taking for granted the arrangement and sounds and musical vibe is taken care of with the writing and sample choosing which is the first thing that has been pointed out, in a bit condescending way, by some. I am sure the OP is aware of this.
IMHO, to get 100% that sound might be impossible without a real orchestra, but you can get very damn near to that kind of vibe.

From my experience, to get close to that kind of sound, and answering your questions about processing:

1) Probably just mono (or limited stereo width just for modern requiremement's sake)
2) Reverb, natural kind as in room/hall simulation, apart from that, kind of dry. There might be some "artificial" chamber added. (the exception in your ref is "summer by the shore", sounds like lots of plate maybe)
3) Surely LP at around 16K-12K or lower, depending by how much sheen you are willing to sacrifice. Cut HP from 60 to 120Hz depending how "old" you are aiming for.
4) Surely a bit of tape emu/sat. Saturation works magic.

I have had amazing results with a plugin called RC-20 for this application (don't tell anyone!).

On the processing level, it's kind of a funny balance between the amount of "oldizizing" and compatibility with expected modern production values.
With over-processing there is a risk of creating a caricature of what we perceive as being that sound, but if the right balance is there it can be really cool.
If you are really interested to delve in depth maybe find some videos or books about recording that music in those eras.

Good luck and have fun!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear