The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is causing my microphone to make this click?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

What is causing my microphone to make this click?

Note: I have a popfilter & have attatched an audio clip.

When saying a word, usually starting with an "i" my microphone will sort of click/overload for at the start of the word. I've checked and it's not clipping.

Doesn't happen with p's or other plosives.

I noticed it happens mainly when saying "i'm" slightly agressively into the microphone.

Backing off the microphone (30+ cm) does not fix it. Also backing off agressively is not possible because i want the proximity effect.

Tilting the microphone or speaking into the middle of it both doesn't fix it but also makes the sound worse.

In the clip you will hear the clicking and also how it doesn't happen with P or even a K. May have to turn your volume up a bit to hear it clearly.

Is this normal or is my microphone defect? If it's normal what can i do to help fix it? I seem to recall this not being a problem in the past so maybe it's a defect.
Attached Files

testrecording.wav (2.11 MB, 143 views)

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I listened to the clip at a fairly high volume and couldn't hear a 'clicking' nor do I see anything in a view of the expanded waveforms (first 'I' in the clip shown below) that hint at a click. Maybe someone with better hearing can hear it?

It might be really helpful if we knew the make/model of the mic, preamp/interface used, any processing (compression, noise reduction, etc), the recording software, and how you are monitoring/listening to the playback of the clip (speakers/headphones?).
Attached Thumbnails
What is causing my microphone to make this click?-click-i.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey thanks for replying. A click is the best way I can describe it, though it is probably not actually a click. I suspect a click would show up as clipping on the waveform.

Maybe an explosion of harshness at the beginning of the word would be a more accurate description. I listen on headphones, where its quite obviously jarring at medium to high volume. My ears are quite sensitive so i pick it out quickly.

As for equipment: It's recorded with a U87Ai -> Universal audio 6176 (doing borderline nothing) -> Universal audio Apollo Twin (quite the chain to be posting in the newbie forum, I know.)

It persists even if i remove the 6176 from the chain.

I too have inspected the waveform and cannot find any signs of clicking, I just listen for it. I'm lost on what it could be.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Just to find out if it’s definitively mic-related, do you have another (different make/model) mic to test?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Great idea which I should've thought of. Using another mic the problem persists. This makes me wonder if it's perhaps my interface or if my ears are just overly sensitive. Though i'd imagine it's not the latter since i'd be picking it out in various music etc if that was the case.

I'll have to see if i can find another interface to eliminate that as a possibility.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

What it sounds like top me is what an analog gate soundslike if the attack time is just a bit too long. I pracitced for manu hbours with w DS-201 to find the sweet spot where it dint' "click" open. But you say you don't have a gate or empander on it?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

No gating. The clip does have a bit of compression but it persists even without. When pulling the mic cable out of the 6176 and plugging it directly into my apollo twin the problem still persists.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I listen on Headphones, where its quite obviously jarring at medium to high volume. My ears are quite sensitive so i pick it out quickly.
Any chance you may be over driving the headphones or your interface is crapping out at higher headphone levels?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I tried pulling my headphones out of my interface and just plugging it directly into my computer. Though I'm not able to pull as much volume, the problem is still there. Also, even when turning the volume up very high, i cannot hear this on any music or other audio sources, so I'm hesitant to believe it's my listening equipment.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
I’m leaning to toward thinking it’s just an acoustic feature of your voice on certain sounds. It’s pretty subtle. Not totally convinced, but it seems 80/20 to me that’s the likely cause.

That being said, do you have other XLR cables to try it with?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I'll have a try with another cable. In the mean time, I recorded another short take where i think you can really hear it if you turn your volume up a bit. It's jarring and really harsh.

Is it at all possible it has something to do with the room? I'm thinking not.

If anything i'll just have to be more conscious with I's to speak them softer though I wish I wouldn't have to.
Attached Files

testrecording2.wav (1.14 MB, 97 views)

Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Same thing with different cabling. I guess it might just be me after all. Annoying!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

There are no clicks or distortion on your clip. The first thing I suspect is your headphones, or your headphone amp. I have heard this sort of problem before on cheap headphones that could not handle the transients. What headphones are you using? I listened to your clip on Shure SRH840 and Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro headphones straight out of the computer.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

the clicks on the "I I" in succession are very loud ..how can people not hear it?

could be your vocal sound yourself or clipping at the mic
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
the clicks on the "I I" in succession are very loud ..how can people not hear it?

could be your vocal sound yourself or clipping at the mic
My voice teacher would point out the there is some excessive tension in your vocal chords, so it's like you are holding back the air until you release it at the beginning of the sound. The sudden release of pressure makes it sound like a click. When you hear yourself without the mic, you don't hear that but might feel it. Hearing it amplified by the mic lets you hear it. It is like you have air pressure that your vocal chords are holding back, and releasing it makes a sudden sharpness. Try having you throat open and start with the air coming up from your diaphragm.

You probably need to work on your vocal technique. There is great advantage to having some lessons from a qualified voice teacher! I took voice lessons for five years when I was a teen, and that was just to sing in the choir!

Find a professional voice teacher or coach and have a few sessions. If you ask them to work on this with you, I'm sure they will find other things that you could be doing better too! Report back after you have a session or two!

My voice coach used to say, anyone can sing, and everyone can learn to sing better!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear