The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog with plugin software? Or one without the other?
Old 18th May 2020
Here for the gear

Analog with plugin software? Or one without the other?

So i have an art pro voice channel Compressor, EQ, De-Esser, ETC. I also have all the Fabfilter plugins. My question is should i do things on the voice channel first then make subtle tweaks in the Fabfilter plugins or should i just go dry with slight compression and a little bit of low cut from the voice channel then do the rest in the fabfilter? Or should i only use 1 of the 2? Any thoughts im not that good at the whole mixing of my own vocals but I wanna get better at it because well paying somebody is TOO EXPENSIVE
Old 18th May 2020
Gear Addict

It depends on how much you like the sound of the voice channel. It is a good unit, but it is not top-tier.

Generally speaking, unless your outboard signal processing is top-tier, you are better off doing your eq and compression in the box with quality software. If you got good at the FabFilter eq and compressor, that would put you in a much better place than the voice channel. FabFilter is high quality, and top professionals use it regularly.

Analog boxes make good learning tools. So you could practice on the voice channel for two weeks, then sell it and learn how to do the equivalent in software.
Old 18th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
It depends on how much you like the sound of the voice channel. It is a good unit, but it is not top-tier.

Generally speaking, unless your outboard signal processing is top-tier, you are better off doing your eq and compression in the box with quality software. If you got good at the FabFilter eq and compressor, that would put you in a much better place than the voice channel. FabFilter is high quality, and top professionals use it regularly.

Analog boxes make good learning tools. So you could practice on the voice channel for two weeks, then sell it and learn how to do the equivalent in software.
at this point would it be better to just gain stage with it? Theres not really a market for it right now where im from so it would be kinda hard to just sell so i might as well get some use outta it I bought it blindly thinking i would need it but stuck to software instead and over time return time passed lol
Old 19th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drho View Post
at this point would it be better to just gain stage with it? Theres not really a market for it right now where im from so it would be kinda hard to just sell so i might as well get some use outta it I bought it blindly thinking i would need it but stuck to software instead and over time return time passed lol
Idk what interface you're using, but even if you don't use anything else on the Art, you could at least use if for it's preamp. Maybe it sounds better than the preamp on your interface? Or even just to have 2 preamps available in case you record 2 sources at once?
Old 21st May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drho View Post
So i have an art pro voice channel Compressor, EQ, De-Esser, ETC. I also have all the Fabfilter plugins. My question is should i do things on the voice channel first then make subtle tweaks in the Fabfilter plugins or should i just go dry with slight compression and a little bit of low cut from the voice channel then do the rest in the fabfilter? Or should i only use 1 of the 2? Any thoughts im not that good at the whole mixing of my own vocals but I wanna get better at it because well paying somebody is TOO EXPENSIVE
For vocals, I would go in completely dry. No compression and no EQ. After its recorded, you can play around whit all your FX's and see what sounds best for you.
In 24bit, there is no need to tame transient peaks as you do not need to record hot. So a compressor is not needed to tame transient peaks.
This way you can do non-destructive editing and you can always roll back to the original dry vocal in case you make a mistake and want to change the settings.

If you use compression and EQ on the way in, you are stuck with those compressor and EQ settings. Those hardware effects are inferior to your plugin effects in my opinion.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

I think this is almost a “how long is a piece of string” question. It’s perfectly valid, it’s just one of those questions that will have many answers.

Personally, I think you should use your external processor lightly at least to begin with. Take advantage of what it offers, but don’t paint yourself into a corner with it. Even run a few tests. Maybe set your attack around 5ms, release around 30-50ms and just shave 2-3db off the top. When you’ve done it a few times you’ll be more aware of how much more extra processing you were needing in the mix, depending on the type of song it is, and then maybe up the ante a little.

Even then, I wouldn’t aim to have all your processing done externally as you really need to make these decisions in the context of a full mix. But you can certainly make things a little more easier for yourself by doing some of your processing on the way in.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear