The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help in identifying the name of instruments
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Help in identifying the name of instruments

Hello. As the title is probably explaining everything already. I need help in identifying the name of instruments in a song everytime i listen to songs. Sometimes I would want to reproduce a song to improve my skills but I find it hard going through every sound in my vast library looking for just 1 particular sound. It takes up half of the time than actual production. Is there a tutorial or something? Please help me out
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khariis View Post
Hello. As the title is probably explaining everything already. I need help in identifying the name of instruments in a song everytime i listen to songs. Sometimes I would want to reproduce a song to improve my skills but I find it hard going through every sound in my vast library looking for just 1 particular sound. It takes up half of the time than actual production. Is there a tutorial or something? Please help me out
Easy. Learn more instruments
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaztotheUla View Post
Easy. Learn more instruments
I know the basic real world instruments alright. What I'm talking about are the name of those instruments on Synth plugins. Some producers will hear a sound and immedietly be able to tell it's an arp or etc.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khariis View Post
I know the basic real world instruments alright. What I'm talking about are the name of those instruments on Synth plugins. Some producers will hear a sound and immedietly be able to tell it's an arp or etc.

It's just experience. They have used that Arp or at least "an" Arp before and they recognize the "Arpness" of it. I don't think there is any shortcut for this type of experience. You just have to spend more time with your collection of sounds.

Quote:
Sometimes I would want to reproduce a song to improve my skills but I find it hard going through every sound in my vast library looking for just 1 particular sound.
That sound like a drag. Maybe spend less time trying to replicate something someone else did and more time experimenting with your vast library. I think the sound memory will "stick" better when you are not looking for some particular sound. Because when you pull up a sound and that's not it, you go "nope, that's not it" and don't take the time to really listen to it or remember the name.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
On the whole joe is right, but I found this helpful earlier on for such things, not being very familiar with "classic" equipment or the sounds they're most famous for. But in the end I wouldn't get wrapped up in it, you'll waste far too much time for little gain.

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
On the whole joe is right, but I found this helpful earlier on for such things, not being very familiar with "classic" equipment or the sounds they're most famous for. But in the end I wouldn't get wrapped up in it, you'll waste far too much time for little gain.

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm
that's pretty cool!

of course it does start out with this paragraph as a kind of warning:

Quote:
I'd like to open this section of Synth Mania utilizing as a starting point portions of an article appeared in the October 1995 issue of Keyboard magazine, titled "20 Sounds That Must Die",
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
pfft what do they know

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search