The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen vs Focusrite Saffire Pro 14?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Question Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen vs Focusrite Saffire Pro 14?

I currently have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 and I plan on recording vocals soon. My audio chain is RODA NT1A mic --> Warm Audio WA12 pre ---> Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 ---> MacBook Pro running Reaper. That said, would there be any advantage to getting a Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen? The Scarlett is 24-Bit/192 kHz while the Saffire Pro 14 is 96kHz, but the concensus seems to be that there isn't any difference. Would it technically be a downgrade since FireWire is faster than USB 2.0?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompulsive View Post
I currently have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 and I plan on recording vocals soon. My audio chain is RODA NT1A mic --> Warm Audio WA12 pre ---> Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 ---> MacBook Pro running Reaper. That said, would there be any advantage to getting a Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen? The Scarlett is 24-Bit/192 kHz while the Saffire Pro 14 is 96kHz, but the concensus seems to be that there isn't any difference. Would it technically be a downgrade since FireWire is faster than USB 2.0?
The only reasons why I would buy another audio interface are:
1. I need more ins
2. I need more outs
3. Need better converters
4. Need better drivers

Do you meet any of those?

FYI: Firewire is on its way out, if not out alrerady.. and current PC's do not even have firewire anymore. Firewire is old tehcnology.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompulsive View Post
The only reasons why I would buy another audio interface are:
1. I need more ins
2. I need more outs
3. Need better converters
4. Need better drivers

Do you meet any of those?

FYI: Firewire is on its way out, if not out already.. and current PC's do not even have firewire anymore. Firewire is old technology.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

At the moment I do not meet any of those. Then again, I haven't really started recording yet. The main reason I bought the Saffire instead of the Scarlett in the first place was because of FireWire's speed advantage over USB. By the looks of the current popularity contrast between the two devices, it appears that difference is negligible now.

The 2i2 3rd gen can use thunderbolt 3 in addition to USB. Is it possible that I would use enough bandwidth to see a significant performance difference when using Thunderbolt 3 compared to FireWire? I plan on eventually using multiple hard-drives during the tracking process as well. OS and programs on one, writing audio to another, samples on another, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
The 2i2 3rd gen can use thunderbolt 3 in addition to USB. Is it possible that I would use enough bandwidth to see a significant performance difference when using Thunderbolt 3 compared to FireWire?
In theory, it can or it may not. It comes down to your PC's specs and the sound card drivers written for any specific audio interface
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
In theory, it can or it may not. It comes down to your PC's specs and the sound card drivers written for any specific audio interface
Interesting. I figured it out would be faster because it's simply faster as a standard in general. I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find any interface-specific comparison data. I'm also considering the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD USB Audio Interface as an upgrade. Might as well get the best bang for my buck. I like that it has 4-in/4-out. That'd definitely be an improvement and come in handy if I ever need to do anything other than recording a single vocal track.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
. I'm also considering the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD USB Audio Interface as an upgrade.
Its not an upgrade to what you have. Maybe a side grade, but if you want to upgrade from what yo have, look at RME or even MOTU
Quote:
I figured it out would be faster because it's simply faster as a standard in general. I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find any interface-specific comparison data.
Its not black and white. Latency and performance are due to your PC specs as well. A great performance interface that is connected to a pc with a not so good MOBO, will not perform good.
Interfaces that have been tested have been tested on a very powerful PC you will never own.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Its not an upgrade to what you have. Maybe a side grade, but if you want to upgrade from what yo have, look at RME or even MOTU

Its not black and white. Latency and performance are due to your PC specs as well. A great performance interface that is connected to a pc with a not so good MOBO, will not perform good.
Interfaces that have been tested have been tested on a very powerful PC you will never own.
After doing some more research, I'm really looking closely at the new MOTU M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces. They look very impressive and it looks like they bring some solid advances to the table. I am currently using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012, 2.9GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3) with Reaper, but I plan on building a new DAW machine toward the end of this year. I want to see where the battle between AMD and Intel goes and take advantage of as much price savings as possible since the market is actually getting competitive again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search