The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WA 76 input levels
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

WA 76 input levels

Hello!

I’m having some doubts regarding the input level of the Warm Audio WA76 (or any other hardware units).

I understand that the WA has a line input, so the signal entering the compressor should be +4 dBu. That means that the signal leaving my daw into the unit should peak at -20 or -18 dBFS? Or that the rms should be -20 dBFS?

Is this the case for all hardware units that have a line input? And how hot should the signal leave the compressor to enter de line input of my interface?

I don’t know if it’s important, but I’m using an Apollo Twin.

Hope someone can help.

Best regards!
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

dBFS is digital.
dBu is analog (volt).
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

I understand that, but it doesnt quite answer my question regarding how hot should the signal leave the Apollo.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

how loud does the average listener like to listen to their music? my point, it's all variable, it all depends on what you're doing what the source signal is who's singing and what you're trying to accomplish. as well as the sensitivity of the microphone you're using or any other chain of equipment in line. coupled with the skill level of the engineer and how you go about doing gain staging and for what reason.

but me personally, going into my interface unless I have a DSP compressor setup in the interface software I'm not driving it, but still like to record sudo hot. as I can make Gain adjustments in DAW. but from the research that I've done on all the Apollo stuff you may very well benefit from driving your interface. as the input components switch based on what software emulation you are using. so in your instance it May be even more variable still.

also with wa76, it has more than enough gain to act as a mic pre too.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patog View Post
I understand that, but it doesnt quite answer my question regarding how hot should the signal leave the Apollo.
At 0 dBFS it will leave at +4 dBu.
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patog View Post
There is not a set level for that. This is why they gave you links for understanding gain stages. If you understand gain staging and you said you did, then you'll know that there are not set levels for that. How you set your levels going out and in and in and out of everything varies.

The levels on how it leaves all depends on other variables and of course how hard you want it pushed and how hard its being pushed
Quote:
Is this the case for all hardware units that have a line input? And how hot should the signal leave the compressor to enter de line input of my interface?
The hotness depends on you and your personnel taste and it depends on other things, like the input level, how hard you want to push it. I would read up on those links they gave you.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
At 0 dBFS it will leave at +4 dBu.
No.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
No.
Your right.
For the Twin it's 20.2 dBu.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search