The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann u87ai weird ringing resonance
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Head

Neumann u87ai weird ringing resonance

solved
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

It honestly sounds like your voice to me. (That is not an insult btw)

I know you probably don't want to hear this since you just bought this, but you might want to try a few other mics, maybe a simple SM58. If those examples are true to the style of music you sing, a 58 might actually be great for your voice.

However, you do not need to take my word for it haha. You could test this. Rent another U87 Ai and hook it up to the same preamp, same cables, same everything and sing the same part and compare.

If you find the rented mic works fine with no issue then I would simply consider exchanging your mic for a new one (assuming that's a possibility) . If you can't return it then you might have to find a repair shop.

However, if you find that the issue still exists with the rented mic, then you know the mic is not the issue and it is more likely the way your particular voice sounds through that particular mic.

This is why studios have multiple mics, because one mic won't work for every vocalist that comes in.

You however are using this for yourself so you only need one mic. I'm just not sure it is this one.

Lastly, I didn't think it sounded particularly bad. However, if you hear something in there that is too annoying for you then you'll have to find a solution.

God Luck
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Head

Thank you mate!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korcraft View Post
It honestly sounds like your voice to me. (That is not an insult btw)

I know you probably don't want to hear this since you just bought this, but you might want to try a few other mics, maybe a simple SM58. If those examples are true to the style of music you sing, a 58 might actually be great for your voice.

However, you do not need to take my word for it haha. You could test this. Rent another U87 Ai and hook it up to the same preamp, same cables, same everything and sing the same part and compare.

If you find the rented mic works fine with no issue then I would simply consider exchanging your mic for a new one (assuming that's a possibility) . If you can't return it then you might have to find a repair shop.

However, if you find that the issue still exists with the rented mic, then you know the mic is not the issue and it is more likely the way your particular voice sounds through that particular mic.

This is why studios have multiple mics, because one mic won't work for every vocalist that comes in.

You however are using this for yourself so you only need one mic. I'm just not sure it is this one.

Lastly, I didn't think it sounded particularly bad. However, if you hear something in there that is too annoying for you then you'll have to find a solution.

God Luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search