The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to pan MIDI instruments in a mix?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How to pan MIDI instruments in a mix?

Hi!

I'm doing a mix with alot of MIDI instruments and I think there's too much going on in the center. I know that the bass drum, the bass and the lead vocal should be in the center but what about the other instruments? I wonder how do you pan your instruments? And how much do you pan your instruments?

Would love to get some tips and tricks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by e95e View Post
Hi!

I'm doing a mix with alot of MIDI instruments and I think there's too much going on in the center. I know that the bass drum, the bass and the lead vocal should be in the center but what about the other instruments? I wonder how do you pan your instruments? And how much do you pan your instruments?

Go listen to any song you like and listen to how its panned?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you are new to panning...which it seems you are...

You might consider simplifying it.so instead of using the full stereo spectrum.turn your mix into a LCR (left, center,right)

Meaning you can only pan it hard left, hard right or right down the center.

Then just work on trying to balance the mix so you don't have a really loud over powering left speaker and a mild quiet right speaker.

Once you get to that point...you can either leave it...cause there is nothing wrong with LCR mixing...

Or you can then start moving certain things a little closer to the middle and use more of the spectrum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Hi!

When creating a stereo image, you do not think of things in left right and center (2D), you should be creating a 3D stereo image and just like a painting that looks like its 3 dimensional, but painted on a 2D canvas.

so you can place instruments in the back left, front left, back center, mid center, front center, back 60% right, mid 75% right yada yada yada....

To do this, the tools you use are:
  • Mid and side EQ edits
  • Pan knobs on tracks, sends, and bus's
  • Reverbs (series of small delays in a series)
  • Delays
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Also, to add to the above, for some sounds - a transient designer can actually provide front/back by adjusting the attack and body.
Sharp attack is forward, soft transient pulls it back.
Compression, may work but I find it heavy handed in this particular case.

Sometimes a simple Low Pass Filter can push back a sound.

Hass delay might allow you to move something further to the side, the discreet opposite side delay can help balance.

The top end, the bite of bass does not necessarily have to be centered. Or some amp sims with virtual mics can add 'air' around the bass and provide a lot of depth, that will obviously depend on the style of the song.

-My problem has always been having too much stereo info and not enough mono! Which makes a mix blurry and small and ironically less wide.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi!

I'm doing a mix with alot of MIDI instruments and I think there's too much going on in the center.
Just a quick FYI that panning has nothing to do with whether it's MIDI or "real" instruments.

Quote:
I know that the bass drum, the bass and the lead vocal should be in the center but what about the other instruments? I wonder how do you pan your instruments? And how much do you pan your instruments?
I'm pretty much of the hard left/right or center school of thought. Of course this can all vary with the specifics of what instruments and the kind of sound I'm going for but don't overthink it IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Just a quick FYI that panning has nothing to do with whether it's MIDI or "real" instruments.

I'm pretty much of the hard left/right or center school of thought. Of course this can all vary with the specifics of what instruments and the kind of sound I'm going for but don't overthink it IMO.
In a way, Bill, midi can mean something pertinent.

If you stack a chord, ie. all notes hit at the same time.
Even if that instrument is stereo, that hit may sound centered.
If you stagger the note starts, it may freshen up the hits and open them up.

This will also depend on genre. If you need a punchy sound, you may consider when it is appropriate to stagger your note starts.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
? And? That is true of any instrument, MIDI or not and regardless of genre.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

MIDI or Acoustic...panning remains the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search