The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynamic Range on Drums
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Dynamic Range on Drums

Hey, i'm interested to know what you guys think the dynamic range of the kick and snare should be in rock/punk music. Where do you think the right balance between dynamics and consistency is? Too compressed and it sounds mechanical, too little compression and it looses punch.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Audio View Post
Where do you think the right balance between dynamics and consistency is? .
Where it sounds good for the song.
Old 4 weeks ago
It should definitely start with the player.
Compression is either a fix (not so great) or an FX.
As a studio drummer, I pride myself on consistency.
I try to play every note in the same volume range, unless the music calls for dynamics. No need for compression.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Compensating for strength of the hits via level is only part of it as it doesn't address the tone inconsistencies.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I try to play every note in the same volume range, unless the music calls for dynamics. No need for compression.
A Freaking Men!
Quote:
i'm interested to know what you guys think the dynamic range of the kick and snare should be in rock/punk music. Where do you think the right balance between dynamics and consistency is?
Its all different depending on how the drummer plays, the sound you want and the sound of the mix and how you want the song to song as a whole. In other words, you do what ever is needed to get it to sound the way you want it.
If that means using no compressors or using 5 compressors and 15 reverbs. Do what ever is needed to get the sound you want.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search