The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about vocals
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Head
Question about vocals

Hello,

I am very curious to how Andre 3000 makes these changes to his voice when he sings, does anyone have any idea of the process to change one's voice like he does ?

It doesn't sound like auto tune to me, more like stacked voices and some effects?
I am really a beginner to recording in general, please try to be straightforward.

Examples of what I am talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T1jdreS6ko

At :3:19

Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4HcLbWlzM

At 1:58

Any input ?
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

It is a bunch of stacked voices singing the same notes but in different octaves and spread out in stereo. Some layers left, some right, some in the middle with his main vocal. Mixed at lower levels than the main vocal.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

what he said. except I think the low vocal was pitched down in the mix.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korcraft View Post
It is a bunch of stacked voices singing the same notes but in different octaves and spread out in stereo. Some layers left, some right, some in the middle with his main vocal. Mixed at lower levels than the main vocal.
Do you think he just sang the main one, then made two duplicate, one pitch down and up, or he actually sang them ?
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

I'm guessing he sang them all. That's how you get the layering. If you just copy and pitch shift, youll hear the different octaves...but the layers of the octaves you won't. It'll just make them louder.

It's time consuming, but worth it when layering to record new parts

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search