The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wiring, routing, connection, setting etc.
Old 23rd February 2020
Here for the gear
Wiring, routing, connection, setting etc.

Hi to All,

I was wondering how to manage connectivity and control with many devices.

Setup:

Yamaha MU80
- INPUT: VOCAL/GUITAR
- MIDI: THRU/OUT/IN-A/IN-B
- OUTPUT: L/MONO, R

Microkorg
- MIDI: THRU/OUT/IN
- OUTPUT: L/MONO, R

Alesis Q49
- USB (MIDI Control)
- MIDI OUT (9V DC)

RME Babyface
- Headphones x2
- Hi-Z
- MIDI IN/OUT
- XLR IN - L/R
- XLR OUT - L/R
- ADAT

Guitar / Bass
- Instrument OUT
== connected to MU80 >> RME Line IN or RME Hi-Z

Microkorg
- Instrument OUT
== connected to or MU80 >> RME Line IN or RME Hi-Z

I wanted to connect all devices together to be able to send and receive audio signal both IN and OUT + MIDI. (later on I plan to record guitar from mic/amp signal)

1. Is controlling every device with one master keyboard possible and how to wire it? (e.g. Q49)
2. I don't know where to put Q49 in terms of latency.
A) Use it via USB and send MIDI out and in from RME
B) Use it via MIDI to MU80 and then VIA Microkorg MIDI and into RME MIDI IN/OUT
3. In terms of DAW (Ableton) settings do I need any additional software to manage MIDI?
4. Do I need any expansion? ADAT? you name it. All sorts of ideas how to configure it and run will be more than appreciated
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Is controlling every device with one master keyboard possible and how to wire it? (e.g. Q49)
you can, as long as each MIDI devise has a MIDI through, except the one you want as the master controller. That just needs a 5pin MIDI out to go the the next in series and then the rest need a MIDI through and then last one doesn't, just a MIDI in and out.
Quote:
I don't know where to put Q49 in terms of latency.
A) Use it via USB and send MIDI out and in from RME
B) Use it via MIDI to MU80 and then VIA microKORG MIDI and into RME MIDI IN/OUT
I do not quit understand this question, The synth alone has no latency no matter ware it is. Latency is controlled by your PC MOBO and sound card driver settings. If you are triggering hardware, there is no noticeable latency. If you are triggering soft synths, then you need to set your latency in your DAW to an appropriate setting.
Try both set-ups with different soft synths and different sound card driver settings until you find the best set up. No onehere cna say what will work better for you. Only you can do that.
Quote:
3. In terms of DAW (Ableton) settings do I need any additional software to manage MIDI?
For my workflow, i would not need anything else
Quote:
4. Do I need any expansion? ADAT? you name it. All sorts of ideas how to configure it and run will be more than appreciated
I do not know, do you need it? Are you gong to record a band? what are your needs? Just decide what your needs are for analog ins and outs and if its more than what you have already then that will answer this question for you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search