The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good budget mic for bass cab
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear
Good budget mic for bass cab

Hi guys! Could you recommend me a budget mic good for bass cab? I already have an AKG D112 for the kickdrum but I'd like to buy a different model so I can switch them and try different flavours and combinations.
I play in drop D but my bass sound is quite bright and trebley (aluminum neck, plenty of high harmonics), so looking for something suitable for lows and full sounding, but not too "bassy". I could use the DI from my amp but I'd like to have it mic'ed as well (so I can mix the two)
Mics that are good for different purposes are very welcome!
Thanks in advance
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Guru

I have the Electro-Voice N/D 868 and the Audio Technica ATM-25 as well as a D112. These are also "kick drum mics" that IMO, often work well on bass cab. They will give you decidedly different flavors from the D112, and you could try them out on kick or amp as you see fit.

Unfortunately, both of these are discontinued. You can find them used on eBay and Reverb. And there are newer "replacement" models, the ND68 and the ATM-250, which I have not used, so I cannot comment on how they compare.

I use the Electrovoice RE-20 on bass cab a lot. Whereas the above listed mics are more aimed only at "low" sounding instruments, the RE-20 is a real workhorse mic that also works great on vocals, horns, guitar cabs and kick drums.
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I have the Electro-Voice N/D 868 and the Audio Technica ATM-25 as well as a D112. These are also "kick drum mics" that IMO, often work well on bass cab. They will give you decidedly different flavors from the D112, and you could try them out on kick or amp as you see fit.

Unfortunately, both of these are discontinued. You can find them used on eBay and Reverb. And there are newer "replacement" models, the ND68 and the ATM-250, which I have not used, so I cannot comment on how they compare.

I use the Electrovoice RE-20 on bass cab a lot. Whereas the above listed mics are more aimed only at "low" sounding instruments, the RE-20 is a real workhorse mic that also works great on vocals, horns, guitar cabs and kick drums.
Thanks a lot!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search