The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Expanding UA Arrow
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Expanding UA Arrow

Hello!

I have a Universal Audio interface, Arrow, with two mic inputs on it.
I wanted to extend it to record my horn with at least four mics, I am realising that unfortunately I can not use this ADAT system with it.

I have a Line input for guitar (allegedly), could I connect throw it a Mix table with more mic inputs? would it reach UA perfectly? would it work?

Thanks for your time.
Tomás
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
I have a Universal Audio interface, Arrow, with two mic inputs on it.
I have a Line input for guitar (allegedly), could I connect throw it a Mix table with more mic inputs?
FYI: Line input is not a guitar input. Guitar needs a Hi-Z input.

Ok look at it was just a math problem.
IF the interface has 2 mic preamps and it also has 2 other line inputs. You can hook up 2 mic pre-amps to the 2 line inputs and then you can use 4 mics.
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks.
It does have a Hi-Z input and two mic/lines inputs.

is there any possible way for me to extend the inputs to 4 mics through this audio interface?
Attached Thumbnails
Expanding UA Arrow-images.jpeg  
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
It does have a Hi-Z input and two mic/lines inputs.
I only see 3 inputs and 2 outs on the back of that. with that, you can only hook up 3 instruments (2 mics and one instrument or you need to buy another preamp and then you can hook up 3 mics). Not 4 like you want. If you want 4 mics to be hooked up and recorded onto separate tracks, You need another audio interface that meets your needs.

Its all math. You cannot have more instruments than you have inputs.
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Ok thanks.

The thing is all 4 are recording one instrument, because the horn sound is like a mix of all mics recordings, so it would all be processed on the same track.
If a preamp as for example two pencil mics on it, and I connect it to my Hi-Z input, and then in the DAW assign the track to record from the line and the 2arrow mics, would it work?

thanks
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Or.. even if this Hi-Z input doesn't fit, couldn't I connect a pream to one mic/line1 and put on the preamp all mics and do the mix like this?
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Or.. even if this Hi-Z input doesn't fit, couldn't I connect a pream to one mic/line1 and put on the preamp all mics and do the mix like this?
What would the HI-Z not fit? HI-Z is a HI-Z, its fits all 1/4" 'that take/need HI-Z input.

Also, if you connect a pre-amp to a pre-amp. It doesn't give you an extra pre-amp. The math is still the same. You do not gain anything
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

As I understand, on my Audio interface each of the two Mic input has a Line input within. In each of these inputs there is a Preamp for the microphones, that need it.

My idea for the extension was (considering that I don't need each mic to be on a separate track), that I could connect through one of the lines another analogic mix table with its own preamps and mic inputs, and pass it through the Line one for example.

Just wanted to understand if this works, and if not, why not.
It´s a matter of connection, not mathematics.
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
My idea for the extension was (considering that I don't need each mic to be on a separate track), that I could connect through one of the lines another analogic mix table with its own preamps and mic inputs, and pass it through the Line one for example.
Its what i said a few post ago. You can use the line in and connect a pre-amp to it and then you can use 3 mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search