The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trust SoundBetter?
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear

Trust SoundBetter?

I've done a few searches and found a couple of things, but I'm hoping someone here can make a few suggestions.

I am sick of my mixing and mastering sounding like trash, so thinking about sending a track out to a 3rd party to be mixed and mastered ready for release. I've browsed some guys on SoundBetter and sometimes it seems too good to be true in terms of 'credits' (Avicii, AVB etc.) and so on.

I'm also a chronic tightarse who cannot help but think that for the £150+ I could buy a magic bit of kit and practice, practice, practice until I can do things myself at home.

I just want my tracks to sound commercially ready - like they belong on iTunes/Spotify, rather than feeling like what I am - an amateur!

This would be the track I use for this process and (aside from me changing a few sounds and a bit of arrangement) this is as far as I've been able to take it: https://soundcloud.com/1812music/long-story

Any advice would be more than welcomed!

P~
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Any advice would be more than welcomed!
If you want to use them, make sure you hire the right one for you. Get samples ect ect
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

When you say it sounds like trash. Do you mean you can't get it to sound good while mixing in your studio? Or, do you mean when you leave your studio and listen elsewhere like a car or on a TV sound system is sounds bad in those places?

If you can't get it to sound right in your studio where you are doing the mixing, then yes i would highly suggest hiring others to do these tasks for you as this would suggest a skill/experience issue.

If you like the way it sounds when you are mixing, but dislike them when you listen to those mixes on other systems, like in cars, on home sound systems, in ear buds, etc...Then that would suggest the issue is with your mixing room. And you need to treat it and tune it so the choices you are making while mixing are based in the truth of what your song sounds like and not the lie of what your room sounds like.
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
If you can't get it to sound right in your studio where you are doing the mixing, then yes i would highly suggest hiring others to do these tasks for you as this would suggest a skill/experience issue.
+1, As your room plays a significant role in how you hear the sounds. If your room is not tuned and your ears are not trained, then you will never hear the true sounds of what you are mixing.

If you cannot hear the true actual sounds, then how can you mix the sound they way you want it to sound like?????
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Things sound decent in the room, but in the car there's just no life. The bass is a bit muddy so I've learned to mix around that when in the room. It's just that last bit of life that is missing from the mix and I can't seem to get there without creating harshness or feeling artificial.

I might invest in some decent headphones and see if I can add an extra option to the mixing as well as looking into room treatment.
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Things sound decent in the room, but in the car there's just no life.
That means your room is not good and needs to be tuned and your ears need to be trained to that room..
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Things sound decent in the room, but in the car there's just no life.
That means your room is not good and needs to be tuned and your ears need to be trained to that room..
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Yeh seems like your room is the issue.

A bit of practice maybe too.

If you don't want to invest the time and money into learning the craft of mixing and tuning/treating your room, then hiring out the jobs might be more for you.

But you'll spend less in the long run treating and tuning your room
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

I do worry that my hears have taken a bit too much abuse over the years, but using reference tracks will help me in that regard.

I've been spending the day pricing and looking at treatment stuff, but also slapped a pair of headphones on instead and that has helped.

I know headphones are not great for mixing, but in reality they are just giving me a secondary 'view' of the mix in the short term.
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I am sick of my mixing and mastering sounding like trash, so thinking about sending a track out to a 3rd party to be mixed and mastered ready for release. I've browsed some guys on SoundBetter and sometimes it seems too good to be true in terms of 'credits' (Avicii, AVB etc.) and so on.
I would not go by the glittering credits. Listen to the samples of the work they have done. Find someone who has a sample that sounds good and is in your style. Go for one song from one guy at a time and see how it goes.

I think more people need to understand that there is nothing 'wrong' with not doing your own mixing! Or mastering, or whatever. Not that long ago, nobody did any of their own engineering at all. There were musicians and there were studios. The various skill sets involved in being a musician/producer/engineer are not universal, do not necessarily overlap, and do not all come from the same "well".

There are, for example, great guitarists who can't sing. There are great writers who are so-so instrumentalists. There are great musician/producers who are not so great at mixing. And there are great mixers who couldn't write a decent song if their lives depended on it. Doing everything yourself can be fun, but if it is simply frustrating to you, there is a lot to be said for playing to your own strengths. The actual amount of people who are truly "great" at everything is actually incredibly small.

Even if you possess an innate "talent", there is a learning curve. The tricks of the trade and so on. There is a time cost as well as a money cost. Parsimony aside, there is the real question as to whether one's ultimate career aspirations are better served in doing "everything" at an OK level or focusing on those things that really are "you" and doing them at a level of greater mastery.

You can hire someone to mix, or perform other technical 'services' and you are still the Artist. If you were to hire someone to write and sing your songs, you would no longer be the Artist.

Last edited by joeq; 22nd February 2020 at 09:46 PM..
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

If you are treating your room. I highly suggest building the panels yourself. Cheaper and in many cases better.

A quick search on youtube will give you a list too long to tackle of how-to videos
Old 23rd February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
****insightful stuff****
That was a great post, thank you!

I feel like I'm getting there so maybe some more homework will be worth doing (and room treatment as above) before farming things out to a 3rd party...however should I get to the point where I feel like I need that final polish and just can't get it for myself, then as eloquently put by Joeq, I will seek a good engineer and go for it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search