The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GarageBand/Logic Pro X Won’t Record Any Sound
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

GarageBand/Logic Pro X Won’t Record Any Sound

I’m using my Shure Sm7b which is connected to my focusrite 2i2, which is connected to my dbx 286s, to give the Shure Sm7b more gain. I can hear my voice in the headphones but my voice does not record in GarageBand/Logic Pro X. When I use a regular USB mic that I hook up to my laptop/computer it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
GarageBand/Logic Pro X Won’t Record Any Sound-2be35b79-49af-4761-8963-a44591590543.jpg   GarageBand/Logic Pro X Won’t Record Any Sound-316bccaf-bcd9-4787-8619-ecce75075587.jpg  
Old 14th February 2020
The SM7b needs a certain amount of power to perform. Make sure your interface's mic pre amp has at least 60 or 70dB of gain, IIRC
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Mic to external pre and then to interface. Is that how you have it hooked up?

SM7b > DBX 286s > 2i2

In this configuration everything should be fine. If you have the 2i2 and the 286s reversed, it will not.

CJ is right that the SM7b needs much gain to shine.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Your interface has a direct input switch.

If you are hearing the mic in your headphones, I'm guessing you have it set to "direct input"

Which sends your mic to the headphones/speakers directly from the input.

I would simply switch that button to be not direct input. Make sure you are monitoring the track you are recording to in your DAW while tracking.

Try that. I'm guessing that's your issue.

Good luck.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

I can see that you have direct monitoring on. But also, you are plugged into input 2. Typically when you setup a new channel on in your DAWE the default input is input 1. Have you made sure you have selected the right input?

You will definately hear the mic in your headphones because of the direct monitoring, but you either have the wrong input selected in your DAW, or need to switch direct monitoring off to hear playback.
Old 19th February 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
Mic to external pre and then to interface. Is that how you have it hooked up?

SM7b > DBX 286s > 2i2

In this configuration everything should be fine. If you have the 2i2 and the 286s reversed, it will not.

CJ is right that the SM7b needs much gain to shine.
I have the same chain and i use the cloudlifter and it workd perfectly with quiet 25db of gain before it gets to the DBX,
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korcraft View Post
I can see that you have direct monitoring on. But also, you are plugged into input 2. Typically when you setup a new channel on in your DAWE the default input is input 1. Have you made sure you have selected the right input?

You will definately hear the mic in your headphones because of the direct monitoring, but you either have the wrong input selected in your DAW, or need to switch direct monitoring off to hear playback.
When I plug the mic into input 1, no sound comes out at all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search