The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Piece of outboard gear to pair with the audio interface
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Piece of outboard gear to pair with the audio interface

So, I'm currently using the Steinberg UR22MKII, and have some 150$ on the side to invest. I'm wondering is there anything in that price range that would be worth buying (preamp, compressor, EQ...), and what would improve the recording of vocal/guitar?

I've been looking into some used channel strips and similar on Ebay, but is there a point in buying any outboard gear in this price range if I already have all the necessary plugins to shape the sound?

Thanks for any help!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I would recommend headphones if you don't have a good pair yet. Good reference headphones start at 400$, I think. Maybe you can get some used for 200$ less.
Probably the best investment, if you listen too your recordings in your untreated bedroom studio on your 400$ monitors. You hear a lot more, what you record. This is worth more than any other hw comp/eq/preamp in that price range, in my opinion.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks I already have nice AKG's, I was thinking more about something that affects the recording signal directly. I saw some of those 100-200$ outboard compressors, EQ's and similar so I am trying to figure out is there a point investing in something like that if I already have nice plugins
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

With your audio interface you always have to track through it, so I don't think an outboard eq/comp makes much sense. Maybe first invest in a better audio interface or microphone.

With channel strips I don't have much experience. I can't imagine gettin a useful one in that price range..
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe111 View Post
So, I'm currently using the Steinberg UR22MKII, and have some 150$ on the side to invest. I'm wondering is there anything in that price range that would be worth buying (preamp, compressor, EQ...), and what would improve the recording of vocal/guitar?

I've been looking into some used channel strips and similar on Ebay, but is there a point in buying any outboard gear in this price range if I already have all the necessary plugins to shape the sound?

Thanks for any help!
You do not need anything to improve your sound. a $150 piece of gear between your sound source and the audio interface is not needed. If you want to compress, do it in the DAW ware its non destructive. A cheap $150 piece if *****' in my opinion will not enhance anything and will only add noise to your chain.

also, you do not need anything, because when you need something, you will know what you need.

If you need to spend $150, spend it on educating yourself on recording and mixing techniques or start tuning your room. Now those 2 things will enhance your sound, unlike a $150 piece of *****'
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
You do not need anything to improve your sound. a $150 piece of gear between your sound source and the audio interface is not needed. If you want to compress, do it in the DAW ware its non destructive. A cheap $150 piece if *****' in my opinion will not enhance anything and will only add noise to your chain.

also, you do not need anything, because when you need something, you will know what you need.

If you need to spend $150, spend it on educating yourself on recording and mixing techniques or start tuning your room. Now those 2 things will enhance your sound, unlike a $150 piece of *****'
That's what I thought - thanks for clearing it out for me. Better mic and some good education it is.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

What you can also consider is go to a good studio with your guitar and voice and take a professional recording and mixing. Where I come from you get 2hrs for 100 bucks in one of the best studios. Look what they doin and how the room sounds etc.

You can learn a lot from that, for example that it is not the gear that makes a good song, it is more about 1. song-> 2. performance-> 3. room( with no background noise -> every background noise is mud in the sum of your recording). To have a good performance you have to practise a lot and I mean a lot.

Would have saved me a lot of dollars if I had been earlier to a prof. studio and take a shot than spend thousands of dollars in expensive equipment, which has a really small effect if the three points are not good

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search