The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to run an outboard Compressor w UAD Apollo Twin & Ableton
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

How to run an outboard Compressor w UAD Apollo Twin & Ableton

Hi guys:

Hardware newbi here. Thanks in advance for any answers or directed posts.

Considering to purchase an outboard compressor for my master mixes - the solid state logic xlogic g series compressor. How will I make this work in my master chain on Ableton Live and the UAD Apollo Twin (2 outs 2 ins)

For example I currently have about 5 plug-ins on master like this: Mono Maker for low, UAD Maximizer , SSL G Bus Compressor, Elysia MusEQ, Fab Filter Pro L Limiter.

How can I replace my SSL Compressor VST Plugin with this outboard hardware and route it right? Is there a way to fit it in the same order? Sounds fun doesnt it?! :D

Thanks!

D

Video of compressor in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSj_WlEGjsE
Old 13th February 2020
Quote:
How can I replace my SSL Compressor VST Plugin with this outboard hardware and route it right? Is there a way to fit it in the same order? Sounds fun doesnt it?! :D
To make it have the same order as the plugin effects, you would need to purchase all outboard gear for all the other effects if you want to do it in real time..
You cannot take a single in the digital realm and throw it out into the analog realm that can go between 2 digital plugins on the master bus. Just think about how the signal flows in thru and out.

You can do it, but it will not be in real time. you just insert the plugins you want before the outboard compressor and run the signal out and back in and print it. Then delete those plugins and add the other plugins on the master bus that you want after wards. But why would you do that? you would not be hearing everything and you would be making judgments based on guessing how the other effect will sound that are after the compressor.

If you want to use hardware with software effects, the hardware should be the first effect or the last effect in the signal chain.
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

CJ is correct, but there is another way to do it. It'll take some routing but it's possible.

You could...
- route the entire mix to a Bus instead of the master
- put whatever processing you want before the outboard compressor on that bus
- set the output of that bus to a stereo analog out on your Converter/Interface
- take that output through your outboard compressor
- back into a stereo input on your converter/interface into a new stereo track
- route only that track to your master bus
- put whatever processing you want after the outboard compressor on the master bus.

Of course this requires that you have an interface/converter with at least 4 analog outs (2 for master and 2 to feed compressor) or you won't be able to feed your speakers and hear what you are doing while routed through the compressor.

It would probably cause issues if you wanted this all the time when you hit play, cause you'd need to make sure you were monitoring the input of the new stereo track at all times. Could (and likely would) cause some issues where you have no sound cause you stop monitoring that track accidentally. Might also cause issues when you solo individual tracks in your mix. You'd have to solo the track you want to hear AND the new stereo track.

To be honest, much more complicated than it's worth. If you are hell bent on doing this. I would probably only do this once the mix is done and just to print it.

And beyond that , I'm actually not a fan of outboard gear at all. I personally think people make too much of outboard gear. With the quality of plugins these days...Any benefit you may get from using outboard gear (which to be honest you probably wouldn't hear) is far out-weighed by the amount of time you have to spend to print it all in real time.

That's just my opinion.

Good luck
📝 Reply