The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Click track not playing on one in-ear monitor but works for everyone else
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Click track not playing on one in-ear monitor but works for everyone else

Hello,

I have a newbie question and I'm not able to find anything related to our problem here in the forums.

I help run sound at church for a small praise band that plays at one of our services. We have a Roland M300 mixer and the 5 band members all have in-ear monitors setup as AUX2-AUX6 on the board.

We recently added a click track for the band coming off a FOH iPad through an input channel on the mixer. We keep that fader at zero so the click doesn't play through the mains and we mix the click into each band member's in-ear mix. This works for 4 of the in-ear monitors (AUX2-AUX5) but for the last one the musician can't hear the click at all (on AUX6).

Here is the odd part - we can adjust everything else in his in-ear mix and it works as expected. We are baffled. We've moved the click source to other channels on the board, we've swapped out every cable between FOH and the mixer, etc. to no avail. After each change the click track continues to work for all the other band member's in-ear monitors just not on AUX6.

We don't think it's an RF problem with the transmitter on the rack for the in-ear monitor body packs. If it was a TX-RX problem then the other channels in his mix would be affected but they sound fine.

We've tried all the other obvious things like fresh batteries in the in-ear monitor body pack, swapping ear pieces out, etc.

We are stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? We are very familiar with the mixer settings for controlling the in-ear mixes and we've checked all the M300 settings we can think of that might impact this one channel from being picked up.

We are able to bring the click track up in the main mix and play it aloud (works fine) and we can add the click track to our recording channel and it gets picked up in Audacity fine too.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradv2 View Post
Hello,

I have a newbie question and I'm not able to find anything related to our problem here in the forums.

I help run sound at church for a small praise band that plays at one of our services. We have a Roland M300 mixer and the 5 band members all have in-ear monitors setup as AUX2-AUX6 on the board.

We recently added a click track for the band coming off a FOH iPad through an input channel on the mixer. We keep that fader at zero so the click doesn't play through the mains and we mix the click into each band member's in-ear mix. This works for 4 of the in-ear monitors (AUX2-AUX5) but for the last one the musician can't hear the click at all (on AUX6).

Here is the odd part - we can adjust everything else in his in-ear mix and it works as expected. We are baffled. We've moved the click source to other channels on the board, we've swapped out every cable between FOH and the mixer, etc. to no avail. After each change the click track continues to work for all the other band member's in-ear monitors just not on AUX6.

We don't think it's an RF problem with the transmitter on the rack for the in-ear monitor body packs. If it was a TX-RX problem then the other channels in his mix would be affected but they sound fine.

We've tried all the other obvious things like fresh batteries in the in-ear monitor body pack, swapping ear pieces out, etc.

We are stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? We are very familiar with the mixer settings for controlling the in-ear mixes and we've checked all the M300 settings we can think of that might impact this one channel from being picked up.

We are able to bring the click track up in the main mix and play it aloud (works fine) and we can add the click track to our recording channel and it gets picked up in Audacity fine too.

Thanks!

Brad
is the fader down? its probably a fixed post fader send
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi RightOnRome,

Sorry but I'm a newbie and my skills are lacking a bit. I'm not sure I follow you.

We are running the click track on channel #4 on the mixer. For the house mix this fader for track #4 is all the way down because we don't want the click track heard by the audience.

When I tap AUX6 then Sends on Fader, I see the mix for this musician and several faders pop into position showing which channels are in his in-ear mix. Channel 4's fader is pulled nearly all the way up in an effort to push the click track to him. Most of the other band members have their click track set to -10 db or so for their in-ear mix.

When you ask if the fader is down (i.e. channel 4's fader) are you referring to the position of the #4 fader when we are viewing his specific in-ear mix (AUX6)?

For the last part of your comment "its probably a fixed post fader send" I'm not sure what that is but for all of the channels used by the praise band we have the M300 set to "post fader" if that makes a difference.

I'm not familiar with the pre- and post-fader options on the M300 so I'll go find that chapter in the M300 user's guide and start reading.

If you can elaborate on the latter part of your comment I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradv2 View Post
Hi RightOnRome,

Sorry but I'm a newbie and my skills are lacking a bit. I'm not sure I follow you.

We are running the click track on channel #4 on the mixer. For the house mix this fader for track #4 is all the way down because we don't want the click track heard by the audience.

When I tap AUX6 then Sends on Fader, I see the mix for this musician and several faders pop into position showing which channels are in his in-ear mix. Channel 4's fader is pulled nearly all the way up in an effort to push the click track to him. Most of the other band members have their click track set to -10 db or so for their in-ear mix.

When you ask if the fader is down (i.e. channel 4's fader) are you referring to the position of the #4 fader when we are viewing his specific in-ear mix (AUX6)?

For the last part of your comment "its probably a fixed post fader send" I'm not sure what that is but for all of the channels used by the praise band we have the M300 set to "post fader" if that makes a difference.

I'm not familiar with the pre- and post-fader options on the M300 so I'll go find that chapter in the M300 user's guide and start reading.

If you can elaborate on the latter part of your comment I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

Brad
turn up the fader to 0, then go to the channel strip home page and de-select LR or maybe in that console LCR.. now you will get the functionality of the fader to the auxes but the signal will not go out to the mains ..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I resolved this problem today and it was related to your first reply where you mentioned the post fader send.

Initially I tried to use your latest reply about separating the fader from LCR/main house volume but couldn't figure how to do that on our M300 board. I understand why you mentioned doing this, however, keeping the channel fader pulled all the way down wasn't the cause of the problem because the rest of the band has the click track in their mix and they could hear it just fine.

I found the page in the M300 user guide where you control pre- & post-fader for each AUX send. I selected the AUX, selected the click track channel, clicked display & it displays a screen where you have more control over each channel fed into the AUX mix. For the click track channel we had post-fader set. After changing this to pre-fader we could hear the click in the in-ear monitor!

I'm not exactly sure why this works so I will do more digging but at least the band will be set for service tomorrow.

Thanks for your help, RightOnRome.

Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

With Aux sends you have 2 choices.

Pre Fader.. This sends the channel's audio out the Aux and the channel fader does not affect the volume

Post Fader..This sends the channel's audio out BUT it is affected by the channel fader volume.

By having your Aux 6 post fader, then turning the channel fader down, you also turned it down for the Aux send.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search