The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Coming to America to study
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Coming to America to study

Hi guys,
I'm moving to the U.S for a job, and they presented me with 2 locations:
Chicago or Boston.
So im in a dilemma for quiet a while now, where is musically better to move to?
I'm from the middle east, and im not planning on staying in America, i want to absorb as much as i can from the U.S music culture (Im talking from sound, and sonic stuff, all the way to why the pop in america is the pop in america)
I'm a starting music producer, producing mainly pop music, and i want to study mixing and sound design, in other words, everything that is related to production.
Be sure my portfolio isnt good enough to get a nice scholarship so i could study, so im not expecting to study for BA, im talking mostly about courses.
SO for a guy that is coming to study courses and not a BA, and to understand better the music in the place that all the world absorb culture from,
is the Boston high education better enough from Chicago's, or the Chicago music scene is strong enough for me to move to? or anything in between?
A lot of cool pop artists came from Chicago through out the years (mainly my king Kanye) so iv been wondering maybe Chicago could be a good place to study music, and not only from the college, but from the city.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Something to consider: In Boston you're a 3.5 hour train ride to New York City on the Amtrak Acela. In Chicago you're, well, in Chicago.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
That's like going to an Ivy League school. Hard and extremely expensive. Not a reason to move there for most.

Chicago, easily. They have quality education programs in the area FYI; you don't need to go to Berklee or whatever. And your real education will be in the music scene anyway.

Just don't go into the nastier areas of the city. High crime rate, esp violent crime.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
It will not matter. It's the specific people you know and find that will make it good. Can happen either place. The approach, attitude, and people you seek is all that will matter.

Boston has more of an attitude, but is not as rough.
Chicago can be rough but less attitude.

Driving in Boston is scary, turn signal is a sign of weakness.
Old 2 days ago
If you are into blues, Chicago is better. I think of Boston as not a music city. The music scene in each city these days are pretty weak. The internet killed it to a point that it will never recover. That's my opinion at least...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
If you are into blues, Chicago is better. I think of Boston as not a music city.
Berklee would disagree. I haven't been there recently, but doubt the very happening music scene there has changed. Really any large city there's going to be a bustling music scene, though the dominant genres vary.

Quote:
The music scene in each city these days are pretty weak. The internet killed it to a point that it will never recover. That's my opinion at least...
Generally speaking, no argument there. In fact I think that's a given among those in the know musically (not saying I am necessarily).
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

I have a really hard time seeing how Chicago would be better than Boston in this case.

If I understand correctly the OP is going to come to the US to work, and on the side will study music production. So with that in mind financials should surely be taken care of and since they're not working towards a BA Berklee and Boston should be an obvious choice.

- Tons of classes and clinics / seminars at Berklee
- A fair amount of really great students
- A bunch of top notch guest teachers in the city
- A good music scene (?.. haven't been in a while)
- Close to NYC which has more live music, more studios etc

That's not to say that Chicago has nothing to offer, just that I have a hard time believing it's a better option than Boston.

I've never been to Chicago though so my experience is limited to five years in Boston (four at Berklee), and a long time ago. I at least used to love Chicago's symphony orchestra's interpretation of some pieces, and I'm guessing it has some really nice museums along with at least some music that's nice. If it was me with my experience I'd rather go to Chicago than Boston, because I've been in Boston already. But for the OP my guess would be Boston is better.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I have a really hard time seeing how Chicago would be better than Boston in this case.

If I understand correctly the OP is going to come to the US to work, and on the side will study music production.
I assumed "work" WAS music related, but it isn't clear in the OP.

Quote:
So with that in mind financials should surely be taken care of
I don't disagree, but how much priority that gets is personal choice....and really there is probably about equal employment opportunity in both places.

Quote:
and since they're not working towards a BA Berklee and Boston should be an obvious choice.
Not really.....

Quote:
- Tons of classes and clinics / seminars at Berklee
- A fair amount of really great students
- A bunch of top notch guest teachers in the city
- A good music scene (?.. haven't been in a while)
Chicago has all of those things except Berklee, which is hardly necessary. In fact, classes/seminars don't sound like the focus at all, given he wants to "absorb as much as i can from the U.S music culture (Im talking from sound, and sonic stuff, all the way to why the pop in america is the pop in america)." You don't do that by taking classes, you do that by immersing yourself in it.

Quote:
That's not to say that Chicago has nothing to offer, just that I have a hard time believing it's a better option than Boston.
Musically, I can't imagine why. But I think either would work well.

Quote:
I at least used to love Chicago's symphony orchestra's interpretation of some pieces, and I'm guessing it has some really nice museums along with at least some music that's nice.
"Some music that's nice?" That's quite an understatement. I would guess it surpasses Boston there, but again both score high I think and the OP would do well that way in either place.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
[. . .] Driving in Boston is scary, turn signal is a sign of weakness.
The most complete and undeniable truth ever expressed on any thread or by any person in this forum!

Now as to your city selection? I like them both, but I would easily want Boston more for the schooling [MIT], and access to the many wonderful places along the Atlantic seaboard. Aside from the sites, there are a lot of wonderful musicians in that strip.

I would suggest you plan trips to NY, Chicago and Florida at a minimum if you can while on your stay here.

Best wishes,

Ray H.

EDIT: And maybe go camping in Maine.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I assumed "work" WAS music related, but it isn't clear in the OP.

I don't disagree, but how much priority that gets is personal choice....and really there is probably about equal employment opportunity in both places.
You can't get a job willy nilly in the US as a foreigner. A "starting music producer" would be very unlikely to get a work permit in the US in today's immigration 'climate'. In addition to that, even if the job was in music it's actually hard to justify freelancing in the US from an immigration perspective. That's why I assumed the job was something else and learning music was a thing on the side.

Doesn't matter though, op can cchi

Quote:
Not really.....

Chicago has all of those things except Berklee, which is hardly necessary. In fact, classes/seminars don't sound like the focus at all, given he wants to "absorb as much as i can from the U.S music culture (Im talking from sound, and sonic stuff, all the way to why the pop in america is the pop in america)." You don't do that by taking classes, you do that by immersing yourself in it.
"SO for a guy that is coming to study courses and not a BA, and to understand better the music in the place that all the world absorb culture from,
is the Boston high education better enough from Chicago's, or the Chicago music scene is strong enough for me to move to? or anything in between?
A lot of cool pop artists came from Chicago through out the years (mainly my king Kanye) so iv been wondering maybe Chicago could be a good place to study music, and not only from the college, but from the city."

So, clearly looks like studying to me. Boston is good for people learning music. Berklee has great classes. New York is near.

Quote:
But I think either would work well.
Yeah, I haven't lived in Chicago so I obviously can't speak on what the music scene is like on a day-to-day basis, and maybe Boston changed...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
You can't get a job willy nilly in the US as a foreigner. A "starting music producer" would be very unlikely to get a work permit in the US in today's immigration 'climate'. In addition to that, even if the job was in music it's actually hard to justify freelancing in the US from an immigration perspective. That's why I assumed the job was something else and learning music was a thing on the side.
But I seriously doubt that any of that favors either city.

Quote:
"SO for a guy that is coming to study courses and not a BA, and to understand better the music in the place that all the world absorb culture from,
So, clearly looks like studying to me. Boston is good for people learning music. Berklee has great classes. New York is near.
Yeah, I focused more on the "absorbing the music scene" vs "taking classes," but again Berklee as great as it is is hardly a reason in itself to move to Boston. Plenty of great learning ops and classes in Chicago. PS and btw Berklee is expensive as hell.

Quote:
Yeah, I haven't lived in Chicago so I obviously can't speak on what the music scene is like on a day-to-day basis, and maybe Boston changed...
I confess me either.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
But I seriously doubt that any of that favors either city.
That's correct. I just mentioned that because I thought the music side of things would be separate from the job.

Quote:
Yeah, I focused more on the "absorbing the music scene" vs "taking classes," but again Berklee as great as it is is hardly a reason in itself to move to Boston. Plenty of great learning ops and classes in Chicago. PS and btw Berklee is expensive as hell.

I confess me either.
+1 on Berklee and Boston being expensive.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Chicago aint cheap!

Bottom line OP, I think either would serve you well as far as music. I would focus on other aspects, depending how important they are to you and how long you'll be there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search