The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to Mix Multi-Track Vocals?
Old 15th December 2019
Here for the gear

How to Mix Multi-Track Vocals?

Hi,

I've been doing a recording of 'We Three Kings of Orient Are' for the Librivox project.

I've recorded the backing track in one take using a couple of keyboards sequenced from QTractor.

I'm using Audacity for the vocal parts as I find it easier to get the latency correction correct.

What levels do I set the vocals for? The backing track is nice and hot as my mixing board has a signal to noise ratio of about -69 dB. What level should I set the backing track to? -3 dB? 0 dB?

If I set my main vocal line to -3 dB, then the next verse I double it (unison), would I set both those tracks to -6?

When I have 5 layers of vocals (in unison), what would be a good level? -10 maybe? I don't think it is a linear scale so might not want to go too quiet perhaps on each layer?

It doesn't need to be perfect, just 'rough enough'. I have limited time for working on projects like this as I have two small children and a house which is part way through renovation.

Cheers,

Sam
Old 19th December 2019
Quote:
What levels do I set the vocals for? The backing track is nice and hot as my mixing board has a signal to noise ratio of about -69 dB. What level should I set the backing track to? -3 dB? 0 dB?
There are no set levels as the levels are relative to how YOU prefer to hear them in context with all the other vocals and all the other instruments in the mix, if it has instruments in the mix. No one can answer this for you.

You mix each vocal track to how you want them to be heard with everything else in the mix. There are no set levels for this. Every song you hear, has different levels for vocals and everything else. Just do not clip anything and respect your gain stages and signal chains. This is something you will need to read up on.

Also, the more tracks that you have in the mix, the lower each track fader should be. Why? Because the sum of 30 tracks at equal volume will be greater than the sum of 20 tracks at that same exact equal volume. This doesn't even take into account any sends, bus's and effects you may have.

Mixing is relative to everything and anything in the mix and it has to do with personnel preferences also. so there are no 'do this' and 'do that's'.. You do what ever sounds the best for you, while respecting the gain stages and signal chain
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear