The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for advice on coaxial monitor choices
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Head

Looking for advice on coaxial monitor choices

Hello GS, I'm a Berklee student who is a broke jazz player with tuition debts and worse, a gear slut. I have a pair of Dynaudio LYD-5 and EVE SC204. I use them for composing and arranging as well as occasionally mixing for fellow students. I have been very happy with their performance.

Unfortunately, I have to move next semester to a more congested apartment. So I'm considering getting rid of the two pairs and get myself a new pair of coaxial monitors due to their smaller form factors and wide sweet spots. I'm hoping that whatever I will end up with is gonna be an upgrade to my previous monitors.

So far I have eyes on KS Digital C5-Reference, APS Coax, Geithain RL 906, and possibly Fluid Audio FPX7 and Genelec The Ones. I value non-fatiguing smooth sound and sharp stereo imaging the most. Bass extension/amount is not a concern for me.

I appreciate any inputs on these monitors. Other recommendations are also very welcomed. Due to reasons stated earlier, I'd like to limit my budget to 3000 USD max (except for really great deals; not including room treatment budget).

Many thanks and have a nice end of the year!
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

I think you're slightly out of touch with the rest of the world if you think having a $3,000 monitor budget is the definition of being 'broke'.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I think you're slightly out of touch with the rest of the world if you think having a $3,000 monitor budget is the definition of being 'broke'.
As much as I hate it, I'm still supported by my parents. I myself make little money making music. 3000 is all my saving during the years of making music. My parents already paid for my tuition, so I would only use my own money for those speakers.

If you are a jazz musician living in cities like Boston you would understand what I meant by broke. 3000 is only 2 month worth of rental. We compose while going to class every day and gig every night, still barely saving any money.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

I live in London mate, a pokey one bed apartment here nowhere near the centre costs the equivalent of $2,000 per month.

However, I did jump the gun, so apologies, although count your lucky stars you have family support.

Ok, back on topic:
I would start by looking at the Presonus Sceptre series.
Very budget friendly and by all accounts punch well above their weight price-wise.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I live in London mate, a pokey one bed apartment here nowhere near the centre costs the equivalent of $2,000 per month.

However, I did jump the gun, so apologies, although count your lucky stars you have family support.

Ok, back on topic:
I would start by looking at the Presonus Sceptre series.
Very budget friendly and by all accounts punch well above their weight price-wise.
Can't imagine living in London I feel the pain. For me though the worse part is the tuition and being a jazz musician... Really should have thought about it before I went for it. Family support only adds to the guilt since I'm forcing my dream onto them.

Anyway back to the topic lol. Fortunately they have both S6 and the S8 in the guitar center showroom. I went to hear it last week. Lows and mid lows were really good but the mid highs sounded quite odd to me. Might be the horns. I will keep em in mind though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Head

I decided to pull the trigger (blindly) on a pair of RL906. My reason being that They have the best reviews and on-paper performance except for the Genelecs which I think is overpriced, fatiguing and most importantly, ugly. Heard my friend's 8351a, not really my thing. At least definitely not at that price.

However they are so hard to get by in the states. And ME is not replying my email.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search