The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where is this cable used for: jack male stereo-2x jack male
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Where is this cable used for: jack male stereo-2x jack male

This is probably a noobquestion, but I was just curious for which applications this would get used, because I never ever needed one. The only thing I can think of is a 1/4 inch stereo input, but I never saw anything with that. If someone can give me some examples, I am curious to know!

This is what i mean:
Attached Thumbnails
Where is this cable used for: jack male stereo-2x jack male-jack.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for snowflakes

It is an "insert cable":

On many consoles (in order to save space), each "send" and "return" (for any given channel) is handled by a single TRS jack.

When you plug a TRS into the "insert" of the console, it breaks the connection within the channel, "sends" it out, and then receives the "return". (The signal then continues along its normal path within the console.)

The other ends of the cable are handled by two TS connectors:

...So if you want to patch (for instance) a compressor into the snare drum channel (say, channel 2), you'd plug the TRS end of the cable into the "insert" for channel 2, and then you'd use the other ends go to the "input" and "output" jacks of the compressor itself.

Here's another way of explaining it:
Insert Cable
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
It is an "insert cable":

On many consoles (in order to save space), each "send" and "return" (for any given channel) is handled by a single TRS jack.

When you plug a TRS into the "insert" of the console, it breaks the connection within the channel, "sends" it out, and then receives the "return". (The signal then continues along its normal path within the console.)

The other ends of the cable are handled by two TS connectors:

...So if you want to patch (for instance) a compressor into the snare drum channel (say, channel 2), you'd plug the TRS end of the cable into the "insert" for channel 2, and then you'd use the other ends go to the "input" and "output" jacks of the compressor itself.

Here's another way of explaining it:
Insert Cable
Thanks! So the most logical application would be a hardware mixer? Are there other applications aside from that?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoking View Post
Thanks! So the most logical application would be a hardware mixer? Are there other applications aside from that?
Yes and yes:

There are other uses, such as taking a stereo output from a TRS jack (like from a headphone jack), and then having two TS plugs (for left & right signals) on the other end.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Yes and yes:

There are other uses, such as taking a stereo output from a TRS jack (like from a headphone jack), and then having two TS plugs (for left & right signals) on the other end.
Interesting. So if I have a Headphone output which is stereo, I can just take that and import it in, saw my DAW, though my audio interface without any issues?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoking View Post
Interesting. So if I have a Headphone output which is stereo, I can just take that and import it in, saw my DAW, though my audio interface without any issues?
Well, yes and no...
...It CAN be used for that, but one must bear in mind that the headphone out is designed to feed a hotter level than is likely to be "expected" by a standard unbalanced line input:

This means that if you turn down the headphone feed enough to avoid overdriving the gizmo that its feeding, its likely to be noisier than you'd like.

There are ways around this, but the particulars are beyond the scope of your question.

Sounds like you might want to read this if you wish to gain more general understanding of what's going on:
Rane.com - Sound System Interconnection
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Besides an insert cable, They are used for stereo line outs. Example I have several guitar pedals, Keyboards, Drum machines etc that have a stereo line out jacks instead of a single left and right outs. Using a single jack saves space.

That cable can also be used with a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adaptor. I use one for connecting my cell phone and laptop outputs to a larger mixer/PA/Hi Fi/Audio system, or getting any audio device with a 1/8" sound card output to connect to may DAW.

I keep a box about the size of a shoebox filled with all kinds of oddball adaptor cords, Y Jacks, connectors, adaptors etc in the studio. I rarely go a month without having to adapt and connect something that requires a non standard solution. You'll find this is especially true dealing with older vintage gear that was built before manufacturers agreed to standardize their gear and use the same connectors and cables.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
[...] I keep a box about the size of a shoebox filled with all kinds of oddball adaptor cords, Y Jacks, connectors, adaptors etc in the studio. I rarely go a month without having to adapt and connect something that requires a non standard solution. You'll find this is especially true dealing with older vintage gear that was built before manufacturers agreed to standardize their gear and use the same connectors and cables.
...Reminds me of my favorite invoice I ever saw from an auto mechanic:
================================================
Customer complaint: "Car won't start".
Services Rendered:
(1) Diagnosed problem (Charge $12.00).

(2) Turned screw (Charge: 38 cents)

(3) Knowing which screw to turn (Charge: $5.00).

(4) Setting the screw properly (Charge: $155.00).
Total: 172.38 (Plus tax).
================================================

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search