The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Volume dip on mobile/ is OK on PC
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi there Gearslutz!

I've learned a lot from browsing these forums over the last year, and mainly I always found what I was looking for. Until now.

I have a problem (maybe it even isn't a real problem) when playing my music (classical/new age piano) on my Android phone. So basically, the mix sounds great when listening on PC, whether it's through my monitors/audio interface, my headphones (overear ones, both closed Sennheiser HD380 and open AKG 701), or even just the basic in-built speakers on my laptop. Everything is nice and gravy; levels are good in Cubase. But when I listen to it (WAV file, export in 44.1/16, 1411kbps L. Endian) on my phone, this weird thing happens: when the dynamics rise to the "loudest" part of the song, it suddenly get quieter, and the whole climax is not reached. And since this is classical music, dynamics are quite an important thing. I've tried a couple of media players on my phone, but the problem still persists.

I am thankful for any help!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Probely something like a limiter in the phone.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Cross-check with a reference track that is commercially produced. In other words get a similar classical piece that's mixed and mastered professionally and play that back as well. Does the same thing happen? Are they equally dynamic?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalguy25 View Post
Might be helpful if you posted a short clip of (the raw) audio exhibiting this problem.
...Then we could analyze it.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Probely something like a limiter in the phone.
Yes, this seems to be it! I tried listening to it on my friend's iPhone and some old phone of mine that I found in the house, and the problem is gone. Anyway, I guess it would probably have disappeared once the track goes through the loudness normalization process that Spotify and the others use once it gets out.

Thank you all for your replies

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search