The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixer with independant phantom power
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Mixer with independant phantom power

I'm looking for a budget mixer/pc interface with independant channel phantom power. At present I have 2 mics I want to use at the same time. One is a tube mic with its own psu and the other a standard 3pin cardioid that doesn't have its own psu but needs phantom power as well. I'm currently using a scarlet solo. With only one xlr and one line in. Now I was wondering if I could hook up the tube mic to the line in via a balanced xlr to trs cable and the other mic to the xlr and use onboard +48v for that. Or weather there is a budget 2 mic mixer with switchable +48v to each channel independant. So far the only unit I've seen with independant +48v is the scarlet clarrett with a massive price jump from the solo or 2i2's.
Most mixers I've seen all turn on +48v to all mic inputs. Where as the tube mic has its own psu I don't want it receiving another +48v when connected with my warbler mic on separate inputs. Any advice/help appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Is the tube mic pre amped?
If no, connecting to line in won't work.
For most equipment (outputs) phantom power doesn't do any harm.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It shouldn't do any harm to connect the tube mic to the phantom power, but if you would feel better about the mic not getting it, get a phantom power blocker...
https://www.tritonaudio.com/phantom-blocker.html
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The tube mic has its own power supply of phantom power, so as I only have at present a scarlet solo which has one xlr and one line in input i wanted to plug the tube mic via an xlr to trs lead to the line, and use the xlr input for another mic. Would this work?
I've looked at getting a mixer, but as i have 2 mics, one that needs phantom and the other that has its own phantom supply i need selectable channels so i could connect one and turn on the +48v to that channel and not the rest as the other mic has its own. I cannot find a mixer that does this.

Last edited by Genesis1; 1 week ago at 05:49 PM.. Reason: more info added
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis1 View Post
The tube mic has its own power supply of phantom power, so as I only have at present a scarlet solo which has one xlr and one line in input i wanted to plug the tube mic via an xlr to trs lead to the line, and use the xlr input for another mic. Would this work?
I've looked at getting a mixer, but as i have 2 mics, one that needs phantom and the other that has its own phantom supply i need selectable channels so i could connect one and turn on the +48v to that channel and not the rest as the other mic has its own. I cannot find a mixer that does this.
Missed the the original part that you have the Scarlett Solo. You would need a preamp for the mic going to the line input. The tube mic needs gain that the line input wouldn't provide on its own.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Missed the the original part that you have the Scarlett Solo. You would need a preamp for the mic going to the line input. The tube mic needs gain that the line input wouldn't provide on its own.
Thanks Mark, so if I got a preamp that would then work OK yes? Would the mic sound be coloured at all by connecting it this way do you know?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Plugged my tube mic into a trs balanced convertor plug on the output and it worked. Didn't need a preamp as i think its built in. Saves me buying a focusrite clarrett with independant +48v switches.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Plugged my tube mic into a trs balanced convertor plug on the output and it worked. Didn't need a preamp as i think its built in. Saves me buying a focusrite clarrett with independant +48v switches.
Sorry I didn't see this thread until today. Here's my late-to-the-party answer:

The spec sheet for the Scarlett Solo shows that its microphone input, line input and instrument input all offer the same value of 56dB gain. That's why your tube mic worked in the line input without the need for an external preamp.

Those three inputs have vastly different input impedance values (3k, 60k, 1.5Meg, respectively) but the gain available is the same.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Do you think it's OK using the 3pin to trs stereo /balanced cable? Or should I be using a mono single sleeve cable?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Do you think it's OK using the 3pin to trs stereo /balanced cable? Or should I be using a mono single sleeve cable?
It's okay and preferred to use the XLR-to-TRS cable for going into the Scarlett's line-in.

Don't call it a 'stereo' cable, and that'll be another step toward world peace. A single 3-wire cable (XLR or TRS) is stereo if it's unbalanced 2-channel like a headphone feed. The 'mono' TS cable is simply unbalanced 1-channel.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
It's okay and preferred to use the XLR-to-TRS cable for going into the Scarlett's line-in.

Don't call it a 'stereo' cable, and that'll be another step toward world peace. A single 3-wire cable (XLR or TRS) is stereo if it's unbalanced 2-channel like a headphone feed. The 'mono' TS cable is simply unbalanced 1-channel.
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to burn anything out using this plug in the line in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Sorry I didn't see this thread until today. Here's my late-to-the-party answer:

The spec sheet for the Scarlett Solo shows that its microphone input, line input and instrument input all offer the same value of 56dB gain. That's why your tube mic worked in the line input without the need for an external preamp.

Those three inputs have vastly different input impedance values (3k, 60k, 1.5Meg, respectively) but the gain available is the same.
I'm not so sure they all have the same 'gain', but they do have the same 'gain range'. The 'Maximum Input Level' (gain set at minimum) of the MIC versus the LINE input is different by 13dB, so I'm thinking the line input appears to have 13dB less gain than the mic input, but each has the same 56dB 'gain range'. Evidently the output level of the tube mic is adequate for the Line input of the Solo. It might be interesting for Genesis1 to try both the MIC and LINE inputs with the tube mic and compare where the pointers on the gain knobs are when levels are set properly in the DAW.

If the tube mic has a transformer coupled output, the 60kohm line input impedance termination might alter the frequency curve of the tube mic a bit. It may also tend to load the mic less than an input which is more typical for a mic resulting in a slightly higher signal in.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixer with independant phantom power-solo-gain.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search