The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Have a 6i6, is it worth getting dedicated mic pre-amp for <$500?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Have a 6i6, is it worth getting dedicated mic pre-amp for <$500?

Hey,
Basically I am starting to record more Violin and soon Vocals, wondering if I need to spend more time on tweaking what I have, performance, and/or EQ, or a preamp / mic upgrade? Maybe I should focus on the room?

Right now I have:

Scarlett 6i6
AT4040
Shure SM57

I have been playing a bit with mic positioning but I haven't really found a sound that I really like, at least for the violin

Is there anything significant or "worth it" to unlock better sound possibility for something <$500 ?

Maybe a ribbon mic instead of the AT4040 or a pre-amp which would be a significant upgrade over the built in one in the 6i6? Or at this price range should I just try to squeeze more out of what I have until the budget is higher?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Violin is tough to record, especially in small rooms. A close-mic’d violin can be a very scratchy, harsh thing. If you could get the 4040 ten feet away at waist level in a fairly large room, it should sound more like a concert violin. How big is your recording space?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I would for sure experiment more with mic position and get youre room sounding good.

Mic position and room has a a way bigger effect on the sound than a preamp.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

No 500 mic pre will give you a significant upgrade on the Scarlett built in ones, which offer plenty of clean gain. Talk to us about room treatment - what's the total you've invested in that, so far. I'm guessing it's considerably less than $500 - and, if so, then that'll offer you the biggest room for improvement, and by a long way.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for all of your replies, I'm considering this question 'answered' and will start researching what I can do for room treatment first

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search