The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite solo 3rd gen interference noise from headphone jack
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Focusrite solo 3rd gen interference noise from headphone jack

Quick question I have the focusrite scarlette solo 3rd gen. I have 2 computers and 1 microphone. I would like to be able to use the one mic on both pcs. Online I read to hook up the focusrite to one pc and then to use the headphone jack out and run a 3.5mm to the mic in on my second pc. This works I can hear the sound on both but I get pretty bad interference which I believe is a ground loop noise.

It only happens when the 2 pcs are connected to the focusrite. If i connect my headphones to the headphone jack on the focusrite there is no issues. So from my research it seems like i would need a ground loop isolator... my question is what causes this ground loop? Both of my pcs are hooked up to one surge protector and are on one outlet. From my understanding, its a ground potential difference that causes this issue would it be possibly do to the power supplies of the computers?

Also, is this a good way to use one mic on both computers or is there a better way to go about this?

Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
then to use the headphone jack out and run a 3.5mm to the mic in on my second pc.
its not made for that, that is why you get noise. You should not run a line level to a mic level.
It should be line level to line level.
Quote:
If i connect my headphones to the headphone jack on the focusrite there is no issues.
That is because the headphone you are connecting to is an output, not an input, so no noise will be heard at all. Headphones connections on audio interfaces are stereo outputs, not inputs. so connecting headphone out to headphone out, as you stated, will produce no noise.

I did not know the Focusrite has 3.5mm headphone outs. Are you sure it does? They usually have 1/4" outs, not 3.5mm

FYI, headphoe outs are not main outs or outs that should be used for anything but connecting headphones to. Reading something online doesn't mean its correct.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I'm really intrigued what the thought process behind this set up is?

Why do you need the mic going to both simultaneously?

(I'm asking so we can advise you on something that might achieve the same but work better)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
That is because the headphone you are connecting to is an output, not an input, so no noise will be heard at all. Headphones connections on audio interfaces are stereo outputs, not inputs. so connecting headphone out to headphone out, as you stated, will produce no noise.

I did not know the Focusrite has 3.5mm headphone outs. Are you sure it does? They usually have 1/4" outs, not 3.5mm
He says nothing whatsoever about connecting focusrite headphone to headphone in on the motherboard.

He says headphone out (focusrite) to mic in (2nd pc motherboard mic in).

Obviously absolutely right about plugging a stereo headphone out in to a mono mic in though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search