The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vst through guitar amp
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Vst through guitar amp

Hi

I know this is ideally done with a reamp box but I don't have one and I cannot afford one. So, how do I play a vst through my amp without a reamp box?
I remember seeing my old flat mate doing it all the time but I can't remember what he plugged into what.

Do I just run a lead from a mic input on my interface into the input on my amp? Or into the effects send or effects return of the amp?

Also what do I change on logic to do this?
Basically I wanna mic the amp to get more realistic roomy sounds.
Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicinbabylon View Post
Do I just run a lead from a mic input on my interface into the input on my amp?
Input to input?
VST?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Input to input?
VST?
??
I've asked for help
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Input to input?
VST?
I'm guessing my interface has a line output then, Id22, I'll have a look. I just don't wanna do something wrong and blow my amp
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Yes you would run out of your line out, to the input of your amp. So you unplug your monitors. You set up a mic, the xlr cable from that goes in to your preamp, or straight in to interface input. Once you get your amp volume right, you set the levels. You play your track thru amp and hit record in DAW.

I've heard you can do it with a regular DI box, hooked up in reverse, but theres a major volume adjustment. Id Imagine you could wreck your amp if you just plug it straight in, so let someone chime in who knows electronics pretty well before you try that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search