The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When to use Linear Phase EQ
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

When to use Linear Phase EQ

Hi Guys

I was wondering just when its appropriate to use a linear phase EQ. I have multiple kick tracks that I bus to a kick group for my drums. I usually only EQ the bus with a character compress so not to change the phase relationship between the individual mics, but does this mean I should be using a linear phase EQ on the bus - otherwise it then might throw out the phase relationship between the kick bus and overheads? Should I be using it on my overhead Mics as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You use it if you don't want to change any phase (character) with EQ.
During mastering for example.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
You use it if you don't want to change any phase (character) with EQ.
During mastering for example.
Thanks for your reply, please could you explain why it would be desirable not change the phase in mastering but it would be on a group bus?
thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

While mixing you are sculpting sound, phase changes are not a bad thing if the result is a better sound.
In general the goal of mastering is to balance sonic elements in the stereo mix without changing the sound of the mix.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
please could you explain why it would be desirable not change the phase in mastering but it would be on a group bus?
Sometimes the sound form a non linear phase EQ is not appropriate in the mastering stage, as you do not want to change the sound in the mastering stage.
The mixing and recording stage is ware you skulp the sound, not the mastering stage.
But that said, there are many times when using a non linear EQ is perfectly fine in the mastering stage, when its deemed appropriate

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search