The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic positioning
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Mic positioning

How was this vocal sound achieved?

https://youtu.be/GClmCWG8OI0

I'll have access to this microphone (Sony C800g) and a 500 series Neve 1073 preamp for a project I'm going to be working on, and I'd like to get a similar sound.

I think the singer in the video is not singing directly to the diaphragm as it doesn't sound like it (there's some degree of ambience, proximity effect controlled and the tone suggests some backing a bit from the mic).

Any tip on getting a similar sound with some good ol' mic positioning? I want to get the most out of this killer combo
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
ny tip on getting a similar sound with some good ol' mic positioning?
I just hear his voice which is his sound with a tiny bit of room sound in it. Do you sound like him? If you do, and you have access to decent equipment, then experiment in your room in different places and you will find the best placed in your room to record your vocals.

When i go into a room i am not familiar whit, i walk around it, clap my hands, scream, shout, and i try and see ware the best place is. Then ill set up a few test recordings in different places of the room and then ill choose the best location to record vocals.
Then i will find the best distance from sound source (mouth) to mic to get the proximity effect just right fr the sound i want. Then ill portray that to the singer.

I suggest you do the same, as no one knows your room and no one knows your voice
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The gear used has much less to do with how a vocal sounds, especially if you're trying to judge the recorded copy that's been compressed down to something nearly as bad as an MP3. You Tube uses a lossy file compression that's designed to save space not produce the highest fidelity. The only way you'd really know how well that mic/recorder worked is by being in the room when it was recorded then comparing the results.

Second, I cant tell you right now you can chase that tail of the dragon trying to sound like someone else for the rest of your life and never be completely convincing. I don't care what gear you use, what studio tricks you use or how much experience you have singing. My advice is learn to like your own voice. Its fine to learn from others by listening to what they do, but be your best by being yourself when you sing. A great performance isn't dependent on how much you sound like someone else, its comes down to how good you are.

As a kid I had family members much older who were already fantastic singers who performed live regularly. My sister was a soprano formally trained in the arts into acting got lead roles in all the musical plays. When I first started singing and playing music I'd try and copy other singers and it didn't work out so well because the tone of my voice didn't match the people I was trying to copy. Eventually I got into writing and recording my own stuff and my voice became fairly decent in a very short time. Making it sound good on a recording was much easier too because I could focus on enhancing the unique qualities of my voice instead of trying to patch up a bad copy of someone else's singing.

In short my voice became authentically unique which is really where I wanted to be in the first place. Having a unique voice, good or bad sets you apart from all others. Look at Bob Dylan and see what he did with a less then stellar voice. He did one really clean recording called Lay Lady Lay back in the 60's and nobody even know it was him. It sounded more like a bad Neil diamond song or something. he want back to singing with his nasally Southern tone and wrote hit after hit. He's rather sing relaxed and authentic then strain to be something he wasn't. In his case he made up for the lack of good pitch by using every other trick in the book used to put a song performance over including stage presence, vocal emphasis, animation, unique and interesting lyrics and a dozen other tricks you learn by simply being on stage enough where it becomes part of your personality.

Like I said, copying others can be fun and educational, but don't think for two second its related to specific gear. Syre having quality gear may inspire the hell out of you to perform well. I often get that feeling simply strapping on a good guitar or cranking up a decent PA but as far as it making me play or sing like someone else, no way. You focus is in the wrong ball park if that's your goal. Fact is you can have that singer perform in front of a thousand different mics made today and you couldn't tell a dimes bit of difference that really makes a big difference in a blind comparison listening.

I use this analogy all the time. If some famous musician came up on stage and played my guitar or used my mic, would they sound like me or would they smoke the hell out of both sounding like themselves? The answer is obvious if you have any experience at all. Likewise if I went up on stage and played through their gear would I sound like them or Me. Been in both those situations more times then I can count and I never hears one musician transform their performance into anyone else. Doesn't matter what's gear, how expensive or any of that nonsense.

What quality gear does for you is "extend or enhance your own potential" If your old gear sounded like crap because it lacked frequency range, then a wider ranged mic may remove that bottleneck. If your mic sounds like crap because you have a crappy voice singing into it, a better mic is only going to make that crappy voice even more annoying. In many cases lousy singers are better off singing through crappy mics that mask just how bad they really are. Likewise, a good singer singing into a bad mic may not be able to sound any better because the mic masks the good and the bad. Given a better mic he has the potential range to become even better with that bottleneck removed.

Of course the work he has to put in to utilize that headroom and become a better singer doesn't just magically appear out of thin air. Sure sometimes you can psyche yourself into believing some piece of gear has magic qualities and you sing better out of pure happiness, but it doesn't last. As soon as you get used to that gear and the momentary mojo disappears, you're right back to slugging it out day after day earning that talent like a man climbs a mountain. The journey is hard and you loose that talent 10x faster then you earn it when you aren't staying in shape and pushing the envelope. Artists do much better having a mojo bag full of blind faith then they do expensive gear, especially since there are literally thousands of great sounding mics you can buy at low cost, especially when purchased used.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search