The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Connections for preamp (Auteur) to Interface (Clarett)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Connections for preamp (Auteur) to Interface (Clarett)

I'm getting back into recording and going through the final stages of hooking up my equipment. Sometimes the more I read, the more I get confused. I hooked up my BLA Auteur preamp to inputs 3 & 4 of my Focusrite Clarett 8pre interface using a plain TS guitar patch cable. Apparently I should be using a balanced instead. My preamp only has 1/4" outputs and my Clarett has combo XLR/1'4" input jacks.

I don't have any TRS 1/4" to 1/4" cables but I do have two male XLR to 1/4" TRS. If I use this and plug the XLR into the Clarett and the 1/4" into the preamp out, don't I still have a balanced connection?

Also, the cable connecting the two is about 6" long, do I even need a balanced connection? Seems to work as is, though I was getting a little buzzing, but that could just be my dirty electric.

I'm also reading that I should keep the interface gain level close to zero, which I wasn't doing, I had both at about half. Go with conventional wisdom and ony use preamp for level?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

XLR on the Clarett is mic level, use the jack.
The gain is + and - so half would be about 0dB but just gain stage.
If signal is clean unbalanced doesn't need to be a problem, otherwise buy some balanced (trs) cables.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
XLR on the Clarett is mic level, use the jack.
The gain is + and - so half would be about 0dB but just gain stage.
If signal is clean unbalanced doesn't need to be a problem, otherwise buy some balanced (trs) cables.
By "use the jack" you mean the 1/4" input of the combo jack? Inputs 1 and 2 of the Clarett can both be changed to mic or line level, the other 6 are just line level.

I'll probably just get some TRS to TRS 1/4". It looks like some don't recommend using XLR to TRS because if you engage phantom power it can blow up the preamp, though I'm not sure why a TRS would be different.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I'll probably just get some TRS to TRS 1/4". It looks like some don't recommend using XLR to TRS because if you engage phantom power it can blow up the preamp, though I'm not sure why a TRS would be different.
Why not just get some balanced 1/4 cables, if your preamps have those connections.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Why not just get some balanced 1/4 cables, if your preamps have those connections.

That's the plan, I just don't have the on hand for this weekend.

Here's another silly question. I'm going Input > Auteur Pre > FMR RNC > Interface, but...the RNC says the outputs are Tip=In and Ring = Out, so doesn't that mean TRS cables are useless anyway? Sorry, I don't quite understand this stuff yet,

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You need insert cables (TRS to two TS) for that.
It's ubalanced.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search