The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dealing with "tweaks" to a mix after the fact
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Dealing with "tweaks" to a mix after the fact

I record some of my friends projects. Some of them live a couple hours away. I've ran into this problem recently on my last 2 projects.

They come in and record. Everything sounds good. Get everything tracked. I then sit with them and mix with them next to me, asking questions and discussing options. We car check it, take breaks, listen on headphones etc. Sounds good, everything is solid. They leave happy.

Then I get a text within a week (after they have listened to it 1000+ times) saying something like, "hey, could you turn the drums down a hair?" or "could you put a little reverb on the vocals?" or "can you take the drum fill from the 1st verse and swap it with the one in the 2nd verse?"

This didn't seem like a big deal to me at first, but then what always ends up happening is I mess with the original 'finished' mix to accomplish their request and then 2 or 3 requests down the line they will hit me with the "ok so I like the drums on the first mix but take the vocals from the 3rd and we're all set" and at this point I dont know what the first mix even was.

I know I'm dealing with friends and I'm not charging money, just buy me lunch and get me stoned, but if I do start getting 'clients' whats the best way to deal with this?
Old 1 week ago
save every mix revision as a new version of the project and take notes as to what you change in each one, if needed. that way you can always recall a previous mix if something has wandered from where it was in the older mix.

when you start getting clients - either assume that you will get a certain amount of mix revisions and include this in the price (flat rate) or charge hourly for revisions.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

As bonzo said, save every mix revision as a new version.

You could also duplicate the track(s) that need to be changed and rename them 2nd mix.

Revision can be tough but it's important to give the client what they want.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search