The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Patchbay advice
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Patchbay advice

I'm eyeing the Samson S patchbay as I've acquired two compressors, two eqs and and some other outboard gear. When mixing, I assume each piece of outboard gear is individually patched into the patchbay, and the chain is created within the patchbay? Or does the outboard gear go first into the interface and then out to the patchbay? I've never used a patchbay before so any advice before I buy is always appreciated. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blotto View Post
I'm eyeing the Samson S patchbay as I've acquired two compressors, two eqs and and some other outboard gear. When mixing, I assume each piece of outboard gear is individually patched into the patchbay, and the chain is created within the patchbay? Or does the outboard gear go first into the interface and then out to the patchbay? I've never used a patchbay before so any advice before I buy is always appreciated. Thanks!
Your initial instinct is correct. The patchbay is what you use to reroute your signal.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
Your initial instinct is correct. The patchbay is what you use to reroute your signal.
I also have to ask, is it usually sent back to the ADC as two channels for stereo (or if mono, one channel)?? This part confuses me as I have 8 inputs on my interface. Thanks again.
Old 2 weeks ago
When I was using a TRS patchbay, the only one that worked well for me long term was the dbx...YMMV.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I also have to ask, is it usually sent back to the ADC as two channels for stereo (or if mono, one channel)?? This part confuses me as I have 8 inputs on my interface. Thanks again.
Pick two of your 8 channels to be your inputs and patch them to the patchbay. Say, 1 for left and 2 for right. Then just record enable one of them for mono or both for stereo.

Last edited by astralpen; 2 weeks ago at 04:42 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralpen View Post
Pick two of your 8 channels to be your inputs and patch them to the patchbay. Say, 1 for left and 2 for right. Than just record enable one of them for mono or both for stereo.
Perfect thanks! I'll check out the dbx.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I ended up getting an Neutrik. After using it the past couple days I will say it's the best gear purchasing decision I've made.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I ended up getting an Neutrik. After using it the past couple days I will say it's the best gear purchasing decision I've made.
I owned the Neutrik and found that when you push a plug in the front, it would sometimes push the rear one out. Perhaps they have redesigned this...it was a few years back.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I owned the Neutrik and found that when you push a plug in the front, it would sometimes push the rear one out. Perhaps they have redesigned this...it was a few years back.
It feels like a sturdy build. I went with neutrik because it was in stock at the local pro audio store and an easy return if it didn't work out.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
It feels like a sturdy build. I went with neutrik because it was in stock at the local pro audio store and an easy return if it didn't work out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you open up the boxes of most inexpensive patch bays you'll find the connectors they use are absolutely identical.
As a tech I discovered that when attempting to repair a Tascam patch bay and priced up the connectors.
not only did they all use the same plastic connectors the cost of the connectors made them too expensive to
do any more then replace a set and even then the odds of the rest going bad not long after is dam near predictable.
For the cost of 2 sets of connectors you can buy a new unit, so why bother fixing them.

My point here is look at the options and shop by price. You aren't getting anything more spending $200 on a unit vs a $50 unit having the same features.

Also, NEVER clean patch bat connections with contact cleaner. If anything clean the cable jacks, and that's all. If you wind up spraying contact cleaner into the patch bay jacks I can guarantee you, those PVC jacks will begin to split and crack within a short period of time becoming more and more intermittent. You'll pull a cable out and the plastic shafts will pull loose with the cables. Been there and done it.

As is so long as you keep your cable connectors clean you shouldn't have any problems for many years. I'm going on using a Behringer unit for 15 years and it still works like new. Of course if you can afford to buy a good used pro studio patch bay with metal jacks using reed style contacts You can probably get a couple of hundred years out of those units. Unlikely you'd ever need that kind of durability is a home studio and the cost is likely to be far too prohibitive. You can buy 30 of the cheaper ones and simply throw them away as they go bad for that same cost.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search