The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Interface to match with SHURE SM58?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audio Interface to match with SHURE SM58?

Hi all,
I am trying to build my own simple DIY home recording studio to record basic guitars and vocals for some original recordings.
I received the Shure SM58 as a gift so i was hoping to get it to work on Mac for recording. I have read online previously that this mic needs high gain so i am worried about getting the right audio interface. I dont want to have to buy an additional adapter to get the mic to work.

Right now i am looking at the $200 and under range
Audient ID4
and the
Focurite Scarlett 2i2

Would these work fine for vocals with the Shure SM58? Which would be best?

I originally bought a Presonus audiobox a while back and the microphone did not work and i was overall displeased with presonus support so i returned it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyshotz View Post
Hi all,
I am trying to build my own simple DIY home recording studio to record basic guitars and vocals for some original recordings.

Focurite Scarlett 2i2

Would these work fine for vocals with the Shure SM58? Which would be best?
The Focusrite will work fine. I'm not sure what the 'high gain' claim is about here - a Shure SM58 is a dynamic microphone - and doesn't require high gain AFAIK.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
An addendum to what Papanate said...
The SM58 is the most sold and common live vocal mic ever. Any interface preamp, outboard preamp or mixing board preamp manufactured by non-idiots should work with an SM58 IF it is used as a close vocal mic. It is a vocal mic that manufacturers know their preamps will encounter. The PreSonus interface should have worked with your microphone, and I’m puzzled that it didn’t.
The SM58 is not designed or well-suited to work as a distant mic or a mic for quiet sources. If you are a whispery vocalist and you like to work a foot away from the mic, the SM58 is one of the last of the popular vocal mics I would recommend to you. You can pump up the preamp to add a chunk of gain to the SM58, but the mic will probably sound a little thin as you lose proximity effect because you aren’t right up on the mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I originally bought a Presonus Audiobox a while back and the microphone did not work and i was overall displeased with presonus support so i returned it.
Your mic might be broken, the Audiobox can definitely power an SM58. Getting a new interface will not solve anything

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search