The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing help - mix is hurting my ears even at lower volumes?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Mixing help - mix is hurting my ears even at lower volumes?

Here's an instrumental I'm currently working on. It's a beat inspired by Chance the Rapper and Broccoli by DRAM. My friend hasn't written vocals for it yet, so it's pretty bare bones. I think it might be the kick that is too harsh and hurting my ears, but I wanted to get a second opinion. I tried using a LPF on my kick and I even cut out some frequencies in the 2-5kHz range in my piano, but the track still seems to hurt my ears even at lower volumes.
I checked my master track and there is even a dip in frequencies in the 2-5kHz range. I haven't applied any compression or limiting on the master track. The mix is currently left alone but just brought up in level.

Any help or input is much appreciated.
Attached Files

New Beat 3 (Master).mp3 (8.45 MB, 183 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm only listening on laptop speakers but there's definitely some high end information that isn't really helping anything. Try shelving it around 10-12k
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The piano sounds like it's being played a maximum velocity on every note of every beat, which will sound overly harsh/bright with any sample library - or, indeed, a real piano. So, the absolute most natural way to help reduce this is: lower the MIDI velocity to, say, 90-100. You could also experiment with reducing the velocity of the top note of each chord to be, say, 10 lower than the note below. This, also, is a more natural way of gently reducing the brightness of the piano, without just reaching for an EQ. Finally, the chord voicing itself may be a little thin. Try dragging the top note of each chord down one octave. What does that sound like? (Obviously: sort out the voicing before adjusting the velocity of the top note!)

The hat, when it came in, was super loud. Yank the fader down 6dB. You might, then, wind up nudging it back up by 1, maybe. But it is way too loud, IMHO.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search